Char93

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Alrighty here I am again asking for help. Back in April I got some chicks to add to my flock. Anyway got sex linked birds so I wouldn’t have This issue. the one with more orange on her neck has been suspected to be a rooster (mounting, biting us but that stopped after and was also during an insane heatwave where we ended up with chickens in our basement) but then the other one of the same breed picked up on their 4:40am crowing aswell as my entire valley of rooster/hens. It’s been a few weeks now and to be honest the gig is kinda wearing off. I purchased kelp online today to see if maybe regulating their hormones will help. We are in the process of building a bigger coop so we can introduce the entire flock and they will be separated for a time if the kelp doesn’t work. Really hoping I don’t have roosters cause to be honest we are attached but we can work around having a rooster just need to figure it out. Another note these two hens are the largest breed we have the others are all bantam or pretty close to bantam. Anyway just looking for some insight? Do you think that we live across from a orchard with allot of coyotes could be the reason? Also they’re breed is from true North hatchery (Canada BC) and called rocketts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.9 KB · Views: 21
Oh and I should add no they have yet to lay however they are due in a week to lay. However our two serama hens (separate flock) have started laying at random in our yard so if you have any tips on finding the nest of a disappearing hen who is smaller than your kettle let me know :) one of them has a nest of three weeks worth of eggs we can’t find and just went broody on them we think (we hope) or she’s missing:( and the other is just generally kinda dumb so his nests aren’t a problem (I say he but it’s a she his name is just dale so it works)

Alrighty here I am again asking for help. Back in April I got some chicks to add to my flock. Anyway got sex linked birds so I wouldn’t have This issue. the one with more orange on her neck has been suspected to be a rooster (mounting, biting us but that stopped after and was also during an insane heatwave where we ended up with chickens in our basement) but then the other one of the same breed picked up on their 4:40am crowing aswell as my entire valley of rooster/hens. It’s been a few weeks now and to be honest the gig is kinda wearing off. I purchased kelp online today to see if maybe regulating their hormones will help. We are in the process of building a bigger coop so we can introduce the entire flock and they will be separated for a time if the kelp doesn’t work. Really hoping I don’t have roosters cause to be honest we are attached but we can work around having a rooster just need to figure it out. Another note these two hens are the largest breed we have the others are all bantam or pretty close to bantam. Anyway just looking for some insight? Do you think that we live across from a orchard with allot of coyotes could be the reason? Also they’re breed is from true North hatchery (Canada BC) and called rocketts
Both chickens pictured are cockerels sadly

Both boys. I am assuming they were black sex links. The boys would be barred (like yours are) and hens would be black.
From what I can tell on the hatcheries website I’m pretty sure the females are also barred like a barred rock hen and the males have two barring genes here are some photos of hens from the website

Attachments

• 910AE4F0-7431-4FDC-B21F-1A3F656D6B22.png
    910AE4F0-7431-4FDC-B21F-1A3F656D6B22.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • D6162F91-1639-4A25-842A-62333F0AA4F8.png
    D6162F91-1639-4A25-842A-62333F0AA4F8.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
From what I can tell on the hatcheries website I’m pretty sure the females are also barred like a barred rock hen and the males have two barring genes here are some photos of hens from the website
Thats auto-sexing not sex-linked. I have heard barred auto-sexing only really works if they are bred specifically for it, it can be very easy to get the sex wrong

Back
Top Bottom