Two of my Pekins attacked by....🤷🏽‍♀️ Deep wounds... help .. 😢

Pics

Poultrymamma86

Chirping
Feb 6, 2020
I am wondering if any one is familiar with using Blu KOTE on open / deep flesh wounds?! 4 of my pekin ducks were attacked by something out here. Originally the thought was coyote but they were not eaten. They have puncture wounds by their eyes on their neck. And as horrible as it is, Finn, my baby girl got the WORST of even the ones that died 😢 she has 5 surface wounds that are doing well with antiseptic spray and ointment from rual king. However the massive wound in her side is tough to get to and treat. She does have exposure of bone and I’m not sure .. an organ maybe?! It is starting to heal and she is walking some but not sitting much at all so her leg seems a little puffier than the other. So sorry, all that to say I’d appreciate any advice on how to keep her care going in the best way possible and if I should try and bathe her with the open wound or wait and if I can use the blu KOTE spray on the deep wound . Pictures are graphic: was going to post one of my babies that didn’t make it for the purpose of wondering if anyone could recognize the predator but I think I’ll just put it out there if anyone is experienced with this and I can send a picture I can do that instead. Sorry I know this is so long ... I just,I love my ducks like people love their dogs 😔 😢 Thank youuu❤️

Attachments

• 51E3F33F-6134-4502-BF81-2A7A9DBA322F.jpeg
    51E3F33F-6134-4502-BF81-2A7A9DBA322F.jpeg
    513.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 5FA02860-65E0-4C0C-84A9-410652BEF44E.jpeg
    5FA02860-65E0-4C0C-84A9-410652BEF44E.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 29
  • D1321753-0FC2-46FE-8A8B-334778D100A7.jpeg
    D1321753-0FC2-46FE-8A8B-334778D100A7.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I am wondering if any one is familiar with using Blu KOTE on open / deep flesh wounds?! 4 of my pekin ducks were attacked by something out here. Originally the thought was coyote but they were not eaten. They have puncture wounds by their eyes on their neck. And as horrible as it is, Finn, my baby girl got the WORST of even the ones that died 😢 she has 5 surface wounds that are doing well with antiseptic spray and ointment from rual king. However the massive wound in her side is tough to get to and treat. She does have exposure of bone and I’m not sure .. an organ maybe?! It is starting to heal and she is walking some but not sitting much at all so her leg seems a little puffier than the other. So sorry, all that to say I’d appreciate any advice on how to keep her care going in the best way possible and if I should try and bathe her with the open wound or wait and if I can use the blu KOTE spray on the deep wound . Pictures are graphic: was going to post one of my babies that didn’t make it for the purpose of wondering if anyone could recognize the predator but I think I’ll just put it out there if anyone is experienced with this and I can send a picture I can do that instead. Sorry I know this is so long ... I just,I love my ducks like people love their dogs 😔 😢 Thank youuu❤
So sorry this happened! Hope they get better!

I recently had a call duck attacked by a hawk. My neighbor actually threw a rock at the hawk to make it leave. He grabbed my duck and put her in a box. When I got home, I cleaned her up a little, and put her in a crate by herself, near the other ducks.
The next day, I put some neosporin on the wounds, she had some peck marks down the side of her head and neck, and an open gash/wound down lower.
After a few days, I put her in the bathtub with a couple inches of water. I think it was about 10 days, she finally started running from me, so I knew she was feeling better. She’s back outside with her clan now, I was amazed how well and how quickly she healed! I didn’t go overboard on aide, neopsorin twice I think was I all did.
9A8B094B-B22E-45A8-9816-03726C95EFA9.jpeg 90083BA6-C452-4D7E-A214-77D9B328E9BA.jpeg CC7D7E3B-66A3-492D-802C-3C4DA473EC64.jpeg 40BBC449-7877-4C22-8D97-D1A084A0CAC1.jpeg EC61514A-B388-47DD-8983-2311644570A6.jpeg

I have used BluKote for deep wounds in fowl and other farm animals before, but prefer Vetericyn or similar types of wound products. While BluKote is good to have around in general, it can be harsh and drying on deeper wounds making it harder for them to heal from the inside out. And it's definitely not good for eyes (accidental spray drift) or near the face and nasal passages.
If you are able to flush and clean the wounds today, it should be ok to wait until you have something gentler to spray on it later or tomorrow. Or even if you have some plain neosporin to use to keep the biggest wound moist (after cleaning) until you can get something better than BluKote.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom