two questions for the experts!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi all - first time raising chicks from day old. Since it is a hot summer I put the brooder outside in the run. The ladies are now about a month old. Two questions
1) Since my older gals have been alongside the babies from day one, how long until I can introduce them. I am not sure if the same rules apply to new young ones than ones who have been seen by them since the beginning
2) OMG these little monkeys poop every second of every day. I am a daily scooper for my hens (never miss a day) but there is no way I can keep up with these - plus I can really get in there to do a good job even if they pooped less. I was using hemp but I put timothy hay in there last time thinking the poop might get more lost in there and maybe the hay smells sweeter. What is the best way to deal with the proliferation of poops in outdoor run and best bedding?

Anyone? thanks!

Attachments

• ijD5wHUoQ7ePBK5CP%KP7g.jpg
    ijD5wHUoQ7ePBK5CP%KP7g.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • UwaK9Ct1S0OWKFMcbyU%Rw.jpg
    UwaK9Ct1S0OWKFMcbyU%Rw.jpg
    997.4 KB · Views: 8
Can you make a chick-sized opening, that is too small for the hens? That would let the chicks introduce themselves as they feel it is safe.

Here is an article from someone with a similar situation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

Edit: forgot to address the poop. Yes, they poop a lot. Large amounts of bedding, and large amounts of space for them to spread the poop, are the only real solutions I know.

Can you make a chick-sized opening, that is too small for the hens? That would let the chicks introduce themselves as they feel it is safe.

Here is an article from someone with a similar situation:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

Edit: forgot to address the poop. Yes, they poop a lot. Large amounts of bedding, and large amounts of space for them to spread the poop, are the only real solutions I know.
Thank you so much - that article was so helpful!! I never imagined I could let them out now with panic doors! That will be a game changer for me. As for the litter - I guess they are just going to poop all over God's creation now that they will be "free" 🤣

1) Panic doors, and I posted examples of mine in your other thread.

2) Best way to deal with poop in a true outdoor brooder? I don't, ever - instead of cleaning the brooder, I just move the brooder (assuming it can be moved at all, looks like maybe it can?) The hens are a perfect clean up crew and will go through and scratch up the area for hours, and the chick poop vanishes. :)

Back
Top Bottom