TWO RIR's? Pullets and/or Cockereals????

As all chicken breed have a range of colors to them you can't exclude them from being RIR from that picture. First of all their faces still have baby fuzz so they are not completely feathered out. I have had some RIR that were light like that and I've had darker. These might not fit the breed standards is all. Or they could be New Hampshire reds, which are lighter. IMO they are both cockerels - with a slight possibility of the top being a pullet.

As all chicken breed have a range of colors to them you can't exclude them from being RIR from that picture. First of all their faces still have baby fuzz so they are not completely feathered out. I have had some RIR that were light like that and I've had darker. These might not fit the breed standards is all. Or they could be New Hampshire reds, which are lighter. IMO they are both cockerels - with a slight possibility of the top being a pullet.

I am 110% sure they are not RIR.

So would I call them hatchery quaility (is this good or bad) RIR's or production reds? Do you have any idea on the sex of them aoxa?
I would call them production reds. Hatchery quality just means they are not up to standards for the breed, but are still the breed. Calling them hatchery quality RIR is untrue, because they are not even RIR.

I believe at least the bottom one is a male. The top could be female.. I've had young pullets very red in the face at that age. I have six week olds that are similar, and I'm pretty sure it's a girl.

Last edited:
I have had 18years experience with poultry - with most of these years owning, breeding and showing RIR. Yes they SHOULD be darker but that doesn't mean there aren't bloodlines out there that aren't show quality. I am just pointing out that you can't expect for every single bird to look exactly the same from every bloodline. So while there is a possibility of them not being RIR you have to add in the fact that there is a possibility of them being RIR.

Back
Top Bottom