Two Weeks, Two Deaths Baby Chicks Need Input/Suggestions PLEASE What am I doing Wrong?!

Thanks, Eggcessive. I had read about others having some positive results with a syringe flush/enema in loosening backed up stools. I hope I did not hurt Beatrice further by doing what I did. I just felt that, given her condition, she was going to die and I had to at least try to help her. I will have to look in to that further for any future emergencies. Thanks for the links to the articles. I just made a new solution of Corid at a higher dose. Based on what I am reading I was not treating with a high enough dose if they, indeed, do have cocci. I hope they will all make it. Just looked around at poop in the coop and it all looks good. However, Beatrice was A-OK throughout yesterday and then this morning was deathly ill, succumbing within an hour of my finding her to whatever it was that killed her. I felt so helpless. She died in my hands.
Oh, you are welcome. I think it would be okay to flush a few cc//ml into the vent, just not pull anything back out with the syringe. For a broken egg inside the vent, this would probably help with using a weak vinegar solution. I have read of vets removing contents of a stuck egg with a syringe an needle--sounds too dangerous, though. Beatrice looks like some of my chicks that were EE or welsummer.

Wanted to update you all....I decided to go forward with the necropsy and dropped Beatrice off at the State lab today. They told me that I should have initial results via email by COB this Friday. I will update when they are received. Thanks again for all of the suggestions, encouragement and recommended articles. Please continue to send me your thoughts on what I might do to increase the survival rate of my chicks. There are only five remaining now -- I have lost two in two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom