TX minimum chick purchase at TSC

My local feed store quoted me this as though it was a law, but then when they knew I had chickens already they let me buy four instead of six. (I'm in Maine, btw) They said it was because they are social birds and don't do well alone, although I'm sure it's also to weed out the people who want to buy a cute chickie for Junior.

I think the minimum is too high. Many towns have ordinances allowing people to keep urban chickens where they can't have more than 4 then TSC makes them buy a minimum of 6!

Okay, so I went into my local TSC (Texas) to get an incubator and they had silver and blue cochins. I told the man I wanted 3 and he said "You have to get at least 6." I asked him why and he said it wasn't their rules, it was the State of Texas. He said it was a new thing. I said that I had seen people this year (like the last couple weeks) walk out with fewer than that. I had even purchased fewer than that at a different local feed store. He just said "You have to buy at least 6. You can get as many as you want after that, but at least 6." I told him Thank you very much, but no thank you. 
It's a TSC rule same here in Florida but you should get them
Is this really a new law? I've heard of no such thing. Why would Texas put a minimum on how many chicks you could buy from a feed store? 

Arkansas has the 6 minimum too, although it only applies to businesses and not farmers selling extras

Back
Top Bottom