Tylan 50 dose?

Ok so it worked! All 15 of my sick birds are completely better! I put them back outside on Sunday. No issues at all so far. The one thing I did read about the injectable tylan 50 that concerned me was that it destroys tissue and leaves bruises at the injection sites also blisters. So what I did was add protein to their diets to help them rebuild their tissues faster. I use organic cat food as the protein source. I also fed them dried arnica flowers to heal the trauma. I used a St. Johnswort and comfrey salve on the bruises and the blisters externally. I did not pop any of the blisters they re-absorbency back into the skin after I put the ointment on no problem.

Ok so it worked! All 15 of my sick birds are completely better! I put them back outside on Sunday. No issues at all so far. The one thing I did read about the injectable tylan 50 that concerned me was that it destroys tissue and leaves bruises at the injection sites also blisters. So what I did was add protein to their diets to help them rebuild their tissues faster. I use organic cat food as the protein source. I also fed them dried arnica flowers to heal the trauma. I used a St. Johnswort and comfrey salve on the bruises and the blisters externally. I did not pop any of the blisters they re-absorbency back into the skin after I put the ointment on no problem.
Glad they are better! FWIF, the one time I used the injectable it actually destroyed the muscle tissue at the injection site and left a crater that never filled back in. Google injection site "necrosis".
sickbyc.gif

-Kathy

Glad they are better! FWIF, the one time I used the injectable it actually destroyed the muscle tissue at the injection site and left a crater that never filled back in. Google injection site "necrosis". :sick

-Kathy

Oh my goodness. I injected them in the neck so there wasn't much muscle trauma thankfully. But they did bruise up pretty bad. The salve I used is for skin trauma for people. Comfrey is one of my go to herbs for everything. The salve is sold at www.mountainroseherbs.com it is called comfrey St. John's wort compound. And it works on everything from cuts to missing chunks of skin on humans and dogs. A great item to have around the farm or the house. I even used some on a chickens eye that was swollen shut and it worked great on that too.

Can I give my 10 day old Silkies 1/4cc orally even though it's the Tylan50 injectable?

Bump. I would like to know the answer to this as well. Does not make sense that you can, in a way, but some are saying 3/4 cc per bird orally. Not sure how else it would be done.
I have one sick bird with bumblefoot and now needs an antibiotic. I do not want to treat the whole flock - there is no need so I do not want to get the powder and add to water for the entire flock. I want to give the one bird an oral dose, but only the one bird and I would rather not isolate her.

Any advise?

Exactly, and my 12 day old baby that I've had to care for day and night due to splayed​ legs (now 100% corrected legs) now needs something for watery eyes and sneezing... It's NOT codyza (or whatever that is) because these were hatched from eggs, and have never raised chickens (possible carriers) ever before. I just want to do as you... Get a syringe, less the needle, and have it drink it from that... No need to rest healthy chicks with antibiotics.

Last edited:
Bump. I would like to know the answer to this as well. Does not make sense that you can, in a way, but some are saying 3/4 cc per bird orally. Not sure how else it would be done.
I have one sick bird with bumblefoot and now needs an antibiotic. I do not want to treat the whole flock - there is no need so I do not want to get the powder and add to water for the entire flock. I want to give the one bird an oral dose, but only the one bird and I would rather not isolate her.

Any advise?

Re bumping to see if someone can provide an answer? I know o am not the only one who is interested.

I was told by my local feed store, that as of Jan of this year, they are no longer allowed to dispense antibiotics.. only through prescription... Not sure if that's all states, but I see them available online.

Last edited:
I was told by my local feed store, and they said that as of Jan of this year, they are no longer allowed to dispense antibiotics.. only through prescription... Not sure if that's all states, but I see them available online.
Tylan 50 is available OTC, but the powder is prescription.

Back
Top Bottom