Tylan 50 for wheezing

KimDunn

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2019
okay, after reading other forums I decided to get Tylan 50 and VetRX for my wheezing rooster. His symptoms have come on very quick and he is wheezing with every breath. He even sounds a little snotty and isn’t able to really crow. There hasn’t been anything new in the coop and no other birds are showing signs. Is the dosage for Tylan 50 .25 mls per lb, 2-3 times a day for 5 days? Any recommendations on the VetRX? Thanks!

Yes that is a correct dose. I would read the Vet Rx label for instructions. It is more of an herbal oil with an camphor odor, similar to Vicks. Does your rooster have any watery bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, or sneezing? He almost sounds like he could have a piece of food stuck in his airway. They sometimes will get a high pitched wheeze after eating that is called stridor. Does he sound anything like this hen with stridor? The sound starts about 50 seconds in:

Make sure that your coop is well ventilated. Dust, wet or moldy conditions, or ammonia odors from droppings can cause breathing problems. If you could post a short video of him to YouTube with a link here, it could be helpful.

Yes that is a correct dose. I would read the Vet Rx label for instructions. It is more of an herbal oil with an camphor odor, similar to Vicks. Does your rooster have any watery bubbly eyes, nasal drainage, or sneezing? He almost sounds like he could have a piece of food stuck in his airway. They sometimes will get a high pitched wheeze after eating that is called stridor. Does he sound anything like this hen with stridor? The sound starts about 50 seconds in:

He doesn’t sound like this. He is quieter. It is a slight wheeze with every breath he takes and sometimes he sounds a little snotty. When he crows it is very pathetic, hoarse and quiet. His eyes and nasal look normal. He doesn’t seem to have any drainage at all. His breathing is labored in comparison to my other chickens. I started him on Tylan 50 and VetRX tonight. I’m hoping to see a turn around tomorrow. Poor guy!

He may have a virus which doesn’t respond to antibiotics and would take a month or so to get over. A bacterial infection may respond to the antibiotic. Sometimes they can get a fungal infection from mold called aspergillosis. They can sometimes get a combo of a couple of diseases at the same time. Hopefully, the symptoms will get better soon. Here is an interesting list of common diseases and symptoms that you can read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This morning he didn’t have the constant wheeze with every breath. But then I had to catch him to give him his meds. He was pretty stressed and VERY out of breath after that. His wheezing came right back. Should I put him in a large dog crate or something?

He may have a virus which doesn’t respond to antibiotics and would take a month or so to get over. A bacterial infection may respond to the antibiotic. Sometimes they can get a fungal infection from mold called aspergillosis. They can sometimes get a combo of a couple of diseases at the same time. Hopefully, the symptoms will get better soon. Here is an interesting list of common diseases and symptoms that you can read:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you so much for this list!

It can be helpful to keep them crated for meds. At night for the last dose of the day you can always grab them off the roost, and in early morning before daylight to give the fist dose. It is hard to give any chicken 3 doses a day without confining them some. Crating them sometimes stresses them, so use your own judgement. If he could be crated with the hens around, and with his own food and water, he might tolerate it better.

Make sure that your coop is well ventilated. Dust, wet or moldy conditions, or ammonia odors from droppings can cause breathing problems. If you could post a short video of him to YouTube with a link here, it could be helpful.

I figured out YouTube and here is the link to the video? Do you think I should make a new thread?

I figured out YouTube and here is the link to the video? Do you think I should make a new thread?

You have received good advice from @Eggcessive it's hard to know what is ailing a chicken - there are many causes for respiratory symptoms - most are listed in the link that she provided.
All you can do is treat him with the Tylan50 and see if that helps.
Of course, seeking testing and vet care is best.

Why do you think you need to make a new thread?

Back
Top Bottom