tylan 50 - how long to inject?

vsolosky

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
Easton, Pa
Hi - I'm currently treating my 23 week old chicken with Tylan 50 (injected in the back of her neck) because I believe she had Corzya (bubbly eye, nasal discharge and she smelled TERRIBLE)

She's had 3 injections of 1/2 cc so far. her eyes aren't AS bubbly, but still are a tad. She doesn't smell bad anymore. She's active, eating and drinking. (She's been inside since starting the injections).

My question is, how long should I keep injecting her? When she first had these symptoms, I treated her with tetracycline powder (duramycin?) for a week. She was better and I released her, only to have her get "sick" again, just as bad, a week later. I'm afraid that she'll come right back down with it if I don't treat it long enough...

Thanks a bunch!!

Tylan 50 is a quick acting antibiotic.

Tylan 50
  • 1/2 cc in breast for 3 consecutive days for adult sized birds.
  • 1/4 cc in breast for 3 consecutive days for bantam sized birds

Last edited by a moderator:
3 days is usually not long enough. its 1/2 cc injection once a day for 5-7 days or up to 2 weeks if needed. If the chicken is not improving after 4-5 days you can up it to 1/2cc twice a day per doctor brown the chicken doctor.

3 days is usually not long enough. its 1/2 cc injection once a day for 5-7 days or up to 2 weeks if needed. If the chicken is not improving after 4-5 days you can up it to 1/2cc twice a day per doctor brown the chicken doctor.
thanks! she is improving. she no longer stinks and she only has a little bit of bubbles in her eyes. she's had 4 injections now (1/2 cc once daily). how long do you think i should do it? until the bubbles are completely gone? and once they are gone, do you think i still should give another dose or two? sorry for so many questions, i just want to make her better and make sure she's better.

If I treat my hen with tylan 50 do I throw out her eggs and if so for how long I am going to be doing bumble foot surgery this Friday and a dosage for a 7 month old hen she just recently started laying last week

If I treat my hen with tylan 50 do I throw out her eggs and if so for how long I am going to be doing bumble foot surgery this Friday and a dosage for a 7 month old hen she just recently started laying last week

Hi @Julie evans :frow

You have found a very old thread.
Can you post some photos of your pullet's foot?

Antibiotics may not always be needed after bumblefoot surgery - how severe is it?
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
If you find that antibiotics are necessary to fight infection - then it may be better to use something like Amoxicillin or Penicillin instead of Tylan50 or consult your vet for advice on what antibiotic is appropriate. While Tylan50 can be used if that is what you have on hand - it is more commonly used to treat respiratory infection.

And...to answer your initial question - unless it's changed, there is a 1day withdrawal period for Tylan50. Please note - that Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection - if you can give it orally, that would be better, since it can cause pain/inflammation at the injection site because it would be administered at least 2X per day.

Hi @Julie evans :frow

You have found a very old thread.
Can you post some photos of your pullet's foot?

Antibiotics may not always be needed after bumblefoot surgery - how severe is it?
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html
If you find that antibiotics are necessary to fight infection - then it may be better to use something like Amoxicillin or Penicillin instead of Tylan50 or consult your vet for advice on what antibiotic is appropriate. While Tylan50 can be used if that is what you have on hand - it is more commonly used to treat respiratory infection.

And...to answer your initial question - unless it's changed, there is a 1day withdrawal period for Tylan50. Please note - that Tylan50 can be given orally or by injection - if you can give it orally, that would be better, since it can cause pain/inflammation at the injection site because it would be administered at least 2X per day.
20171023_175747.jpg
20171023_175747.jpg

Both of her feet have gotten vary swollen she's been treated with penicillin and oxytetracycline Sence we got her she's back to smelling sour and all of her poop is solid chalky white she's fed and water is changed daily how does penicillin affect the egg only asking because I am highly allergic to penicillin and what is the withdrawal rate on that

Back
Top Bottom