Tylan 50 Question

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
Hello,can tylan 50 injectable be given orally? I have a bantam cochin rooster i need to medicate and i dont want to seperate him or medicate my whole flock.I read an older post that said they gave it orally,1/2 cc once a day for 3 days.Any advice will be greatly appreciated..
smile.png

Hello,can tylan 50 injectable be given orally? I have a bantam cochin rooster i need to medicate and i dont want to seperate him or medicate my whole flock.I read an older post that said they gave it orally,1/2 cc once a day for 3 days.Any advice will be greatly appreciated..
smile.png
Yes it can be given orally. If your roo is under about 4 pounds I'd only give him 1/4cc orally once a day for 5 days. If he's over 4 pounds, 1/2cc orally once a day for 5 days. The reason you administer for 5 days is because it takes longer to absorb into their system, alot is excreted, not like injecting once a day for 3 days where it goes directly into the respiratory system.
Orally, you should see improvement about the third or fourth day. If it's really bad and you dont see any improvement at all, you can give it orally up to the seventh day, then stop completely.

Yes it can be given orally. If your roo is under about 4 pounds I'd only give him 1/4cc orally once a day for 5 days. If he's over 4 pounds, 1/2cc orally once a day for 5 days. The reason you administer for 5 days is because it takes longer to absorb into their system, alot is excreted, not like injecting once a day for 3 days where it goes directly into the respiratory system.
Orally, you should see improvement about the third or fourth day. If it's really bad and you dont see any improvement at all, you can give it orally up to the seventh day, then stop completely.
Thanks so much.I was just reading one of your old post and got this info from you..lol I know injection is better but i just dont have the stomach for it.Now i just need to make sure i dont asperate him...

ok,so i decided to inject since he is so bad.I also gave him another injection,again because of how sick he is.I love this roo,he is a pet so i dont want to loose him,but i also dont want him to suffer.How long before i should start seeing some improvement? Thanks for any help..

Did you inject in the muscle or sub q, Sub q is easier but takes little longer, if in the muscle basically feel for the crop then when you find it flip him on his back works well if you put him between you legs if you are sitting on a chair feel the brestbone and on the side opposite of the crop feel for the meatie part of the brest you just put needle in slightly and inject the meds. you can see improvement soemtimes in as early as a day

Did you inject in the muscle or sub q, Sub q is easier but takes little longer, if in the muscle basically feel for the crop then when you find it flip him on his back works well if you put him between you legs if you are sitting on a chair feel the brestbone and on the side opposite of the crop feel for the meatie part of the brest you just put needle in slightly and inject the meds. you can see improvement soemtimes in as early as a day
Thanks for the reply.I injected into his breast meat.

Last edited:
So i checked my little roo this morning,and he doesnt seem any better.I was wondering if i should give him 2-1/4cc shots again today and i also noticed that he has scaley leg mites.I usually would only deal with 1 thing at a time,so i dont stress him,but im wondering if i should soak his feet and vasolene him.What do you all think?

Well....................i purchased Tylan200(that's all our local feed store had) yesterday and gave a 1/4cc to all my chickens in the breast. Hope they survive! How often are you supposed to give them this for a respiratory problem?

I was told inject once a day for 3 days,but he is so sick i doubled up yesterday and will again today..But thats with the tylan 50,the 200 is 4 times stronger..

Back
Top Bottom