Tylan-50

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by carlape, Dec 24, 2014.

1. carlape

carlape Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I have a couple of hens sneezing, but eating and drinking very well. I want to treat the whole flock and just bought Duramycin-10 soluble powder, and I have Tylan 50 injectable. Which one should I use, in the water, and what dosage per gallon?
    Thanks!
    Carla

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you know if they have a bacterial infection?
    If it's viral, fungal, environmental or nutritional, an antibiotic won't help.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If a few are only sneezing, I would not treat them with either yet. Sneezing can be from dusty condtions or feed, from ammonia odors in the coop, or moldy conditions can causing sneezing. If they develop more serious symptoms such as sticky eye or nasal drainage, noisy breathing, or swelling around the eye or face, then I would separate the sick ones, and only treat those. Tylan 50 is much better than Duramycin-10, but has to be given either by injection for 3 days, or given by mouth to each chicken once or twice a day for 5 days. Tylan 50 dosage is 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for up to 5 lb, and 1 ml for over 5 lb daily. When chickens are sick, they don't drink enough of the medicated water, especially in cold weather. Never give antibiotics to chickens without symptoms, and read this link about symptoms of infectious bronchitis and MG: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by