Tylan and other antibiotics

yesterDAYNE

yurkey crazy
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Apr 27, 2017
Oklahoma
Currently have a turkey hen fighting some sort of respiratory illness (swollen hard sinus that i previously removed pus from, bubbly eyes, crackling and mouth full of mucus sometimes) and over the past few months i tried to treat her with tylan 200 (recommended by avian vet, it cleared her sister up when they were sick at the same time), but she never fully recovered. For awhile she had no mucus/sneezing or anything, just the swollen sinus we were having difficulty removing pus from. A couple days ago she suddenly started acting slightly off balance and lethargic and over 3 nights shes stopped really eating or drinking on her own and is barely pooping. Yellow urates. Yesterday we tubed her pedialyte 2 times but she still hasnt fully emptied her crop since then so im hesitant to feed her.

I am trying to treat with Tylan again but I'm scared its a lost cause after 2 previous treatments with it not working. I also tried baytril. Im wondering if I can continue her tylan, but also maybe introduce doxycycline or something at the same time?

When we originally had the vet visit months ago, her sister was worse off so they did a panel on her, and it had come back as E coli treatable with Tylan. I could only afford 1 swab (400 dollars) but we had assumed they both had the same infection. Now im not sure. Thanks for the help.

I am not a vet, but turkeys can get mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Air sacculitis, which is a secondary infection usually of E.coli, can make it much worse. Baytril may be better at treating the E.coli. Dosage of 10% Baytril is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days. That would be 0.5 ml for 10 pounds. Tylan is good for MG symptoms. How much were you using, and do you have a weight on your turkey? There is a lab in CA which can test for 8 different possible respiratory diseases for much less. Here is a link for it:
https://www.zoologix.com/avian/Datasheets/PoultryRespiratoryPanel.htm

One of the best ways to get a diagnosis if a bird dies, is to have your state vet perform a necropsy where they do additional histology. Here is a list including OSU:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I am not a vet, but turkeys can get mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) a chronic respiratory disease. Air sacculitis, which is a secondary infection usually of E.coli, can make it much worse. Baytril may be better at treating the E.coli. Dosage of 10% Baytril is 0.05 ml per pound given twice a day for 5 days. That would be 0.5 ml for 10 pounds. Tylan is good for MG symptoms. How much were you using, and do you have a weight on your turkey? There is a lab in CA which can test for 8 different possible respiratory diseases for much less. Here is a link for it:

One of the best ways to get a diagnosis if a bird dies, is to have your state vet perform a necropsy where they do additional histology. Here is a list including OSU:

She just finished a 5 day baytril treatment about a day or two before she started acting unsteady and getting mucus-y, so I think she finished last... thursday? It didn't seem to help that I'm aware of. I did the .05 per pound twice a day.

Originally with Tylan the dose the vet gave me was 2CCs once a day for 7 days I believe, for her weight of 12lbs at the time. The other last time I tried to dose her I tried the 2cc again. This time I'm going by what I found on here of .25ml per pound 3-4 times a day. She weighs 9.1lbs as of yesterday, so I've been giving her about 2.7ccs 3-4 times a day.

If she does die, I do plan on trying to send her to a lab if I can, but I'm hoping I don't lose her. She means a lot to me, which is why I'm panicking a little haha.

The Tylan dosage of 0.25 ml per pound is for the Tylan 50. For the Tylan 200 it is 4 times as potent. I hope that she recovers. Let us know how she gets along.
Ah crud, was it? I'd sworn I'd looked specifically for the Tylan 200 dosage. Kinda glad I had only managed to fit 2 times a day in yesterday and Saturday. I thought it seemed a little high tbh. She isn't as mucusy this morning and she ate a little bit of watermelon and some 30% turkey starter crumble after her morning dose, no interest in her normal all flock pellets yet.

Tylan is pretty safe, and dosage can range from 5-20 mg per pound 3-4 times a day. Tylan 50 is 50 mg per ml while the 200 is 200mg per ml. Dosage of Tylan 200 is more like 0.05 to 0.1 ml per pound.

An update, She just finished her day 5 of Tylan last night. There is improvement. Her poops are looking better and the lethargy and stumbling is gone. The only thing I am concerned about is I can still hear her cough up a bit of mucus every now and then. It's nowhere near as bad as it was, but it is still there. Not really sure what to do next since the round of Tylan is over and she is still showing very light symptoms.

Since she has completed both a round of Baytril and Tylan, I would give her probiotics now to get her bowel and body back to normal. Make sure that she is in an area with very good fresh air ventilation. Coughing can be a way to clear the airway. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of fluids.

Since she has completed both a round of Baytril and Tylan, I would give her probiotics now to get her bowel and body back to normal. Make sure that she is in an area with very good fresh air ventilation. Coughing can be a way to clear the airway. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of fluids.
Gotcha. I've been putting electrolytes & vitamins in her water. I'll see what else I have in the med cabinet too. Thanks!

Eggcessive are you available to speak to me for a moment please. I have tylan injectable for my peacock who has a respiratory problem. He weight is 4.5 kg. 9 pounds. What dose should I give him???

Back
Top Bottom