Tylan and penicillin for bubbles in the eyes

Would that mean that chickens can be resistant to penicillin even if they've never used it? Or after having used it several times?
It means that certain bacteria become resistant over time to certain antibiotics. You know like MRSA--methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus--staph aureus used to always be treated with methicillin, but it is now resistant.

How big are they? If they were mine I would use Baytril, but Baytril is banned for use in food animals, so best to look into that
-Kathy
[/quote]

They range in age between 6 to months old.

I don't like getting my advice at a feed store.  I'd rather get advice here.

I would not be giving them both meds at the same time.  I know with Penicillin the dose is 0.5 ml, not 1 ml.  I don't know the dose of Tylan injectable.  The Pen I normally give one shot a day for 5 days.  

I'm sure someonne will get on here and give you the right dose for Tylan.

Yes it always makes me nervous to, they usually don't give very good advice. I knew I would get better advice on here from people who know from their own experience. This is a great resource for anyone who has chickens.

Because Tylan can cause *severe* injection site damage I won't use it again. The one time I gave one shot, the bird developed a nasty necrotic spot in her breast muscle that never did heal right. Not sure what the proper dose is, but I do think it's probably more than people think.

The Tylan website says that the daily dose for the powder for chickens is 50mg per pound, but I don't know how that translates to the injectable. Probably best to consult a vet on that.

-Kathy

I used Tylan 50 injectable only once on a hen 3 days in a row, and that hen is fine. The Tylan literature does say that it can be irritating, and I really would not ever recommend using the Tylan 200 as an injection on chickens, since it is 4 times as concentrated, but some people do use it. Someone on BYC once gave a Tylan injection, and their chicken died immediately--that may have been from an improper injection, or some unusual reaction or severe stress. Since I don't see a sick chicken that often, I haven't used Baytril, but it is a good drug. Bacteria can build up a resistance to antibiotics after time, so I would use Tylan or the other drugs first (oxytetracycline, erythromycin) before using Baytril for every infection. Of course, that is just my opinion, plus the fact that I don't have Baytril.

Quote:
That's what I thought. I usually use pen G because it's an "entry level" antibiotic that will do the job. Or any "cillin". I feel that if I grab the strong strong stuff right away, yes, I may have some super bacteria running around if the bacteria survive it. I think most resistance is caused by not completing the doses because an animal looks better. I think the biggest problem us chicken people face is choosing the right antibiotic for the right bacteria. And not using the "atom bomb" for a bar room brawl.
smile.png

Read this and tell me what antibiotic one should choose. This was a peachick that had swollen sinuses and bubble in the eye.

-Kathy

Here is a picture of the pdf:

He started with Tylan, then tried oxytetracycline or tetracycline, but in the end he used Baytril. Not positive, but I think the delay in using Baytril cost him the lives of one or two chicks.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Here is another. This was from a duckling of mine with a yolk sac infection, so not a respiratory infection, but still you can see how it can be tricky to pick an antibiotic that will treat both bacteria found:

Escherichia coli
EXTRA-LABEL USE ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS -- NOT approved for use in this animal species-- Antibiotic Reading Interpretation
Ceftiofur 28mm sensitive
Erythromycin 8mm resistant
Gentamicin 24mm sensitive
Neomycin 21mm sensitive
Penicillin 6mm resistant
Spectinomycin 21mm sensitive
Tetracycline 22mm sensitive
Sulfonamides 22mm sensitive
Enrofloxacin 35mm sensitive
TMP/Sulfa 29mm sensitive

Pseudomonas aeruginosa
EXTRA-LABEL USE ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS -- NOT approved for use in this animal species-- Antibiotic Reading Interpretation
Ceftiofur 13mm resistant
Erythromycin 6mm resistant
Gentamicin 19mm sensitive
Neomycin 16mm intermediate
Penicillin 6mm resistant
Spectinomycin 12mm intermediate
Tetracycline 12mm resistant
Sulfonamides 6mm resistant
Enrofloxacin 21mm sensitive
TMP/Sulfa 6mm resistant

-Kathy

Edited to add:

Escherichia coli
EXTRA-LABEL USE ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS -- NOT approved for use in this animal species--
Antibiotic Reading Interpretation
Ceftiofur 24mm sensitive
Erythromycin 6mm resistant
Gentamicin 21mm sensitive
Neomycin 12mm resistant
Penicillin 6mm resistant
Spectinomycin 18mm sensitive
Tetracycline 6mm resistant
TMP/Sulfa 6mm resistant

Escherichia coli
U.S. - FDA APPROVED ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS -- Approved for use in this animal species --
Ceftiofur 24mm sensitive
Erythromycin 8mm resistant
Neomycin 18mm sensitive
Penicillin 6mm resistant
Spectinomycin 19mm sensitive
Tetracycline 6mm resistant
Streptomycin 16mm sensitive

EXTRA-LABEL USE ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS -- NOT approved for use in this animal species--
Gentamicin 19mm sensitive

Last edited:
That's what I thought. I usually use pen G because it's an "entry level" antibiotic that will do the job. Or any "cillin". I feel that if I grab the strong strong stuff right away, yes, I may have some super bacteria running around if the bacteria survive it. I think most resistance is caused by not completing the doses because an animal looks better. I think the biggest problem us chicken people face is choosing the right antibiotic for the right bacteria. And not using the "atom bomb" for a bar room brawl.
smile.png
Take a look at the culture and sensitivity reports I posted and you'll see that all show that penicillin won't be effective. Makes my head spin trying to figure out what the best antibiotic to have and use is.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom