Tylan and penicillin for bubbles in the eyes

I'm not familiar with the illness afflicting your flock, but since Vetericyn is a topical treatment it may not solve your problem. Just wanted to make sure you looked into the potential problems with Baytril. Hope you get it under control soon.

I'm not familiar with the illness afflicting your flock, but since Vetericyn is a topical treatment it may not solve your problem. Just wanted to make sure you looked into the potential problems with Baytril. Hope you get it under control soon.

I really do appreciate you mentioning it. I have used it before for irritations and such as the ND I really do believe it works and helped, but I think these have some sort of respitory issue

I really do appreciate you mentioning it. I have used it before for irritations and such as the ND I really do believe it works and helped, but I think these have some sort of respitory issue

Sorry for they typ-o! Darn auto correct! What I was trying to say is I have used the Vetrycin for things before and it worked well. I'm glad you suggested it in case I had not thought of using it!

Quote: These two can be given orally, but shouldn't be injected:

The instructions say to mix them in water, but that's not a good way to give it.

This one is injectable and can also be given orally:

The doses my vets have recommened are:
  • 10mg/kg (0.045ml per pound) twice a day for five days
  • 15mg/kg (0.068ml per pound) once a day for five days
  • 20mg/kg (0.09ml per pound) once a day for five days

The Baytril website says 10mg/kg per day.
http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/fileadmin/media/baytril/pdf_food/balancing_Folder.pdf

Here is a bunch of info on Baytril (enrofloxacin). Has info like dosing for the different species, drug interactions, side effects, etc.

From Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook

-Kathy

Edited to fix dosing error.

Last edited:
Larger pictures of the more important info:

LL

-Kathy

@ironsfamilyfarm , you might want to call your state vet and ask about have one of their testers come and draw blood and collect a nasal swab. Many states will do it for free or a very low cost.

-Kathy

Kathy, the report says negative PCR for Mycoplasma, so I wouldn't choose anything,
(I'm having a problem with the quote button and the smileys, but know I'm saying this humorously.

I think it's real hard to pick an antibiotic. I usually end up using stuff that I see over and over on here for stuff on here. I've had pen g in my fridge, and solved most problems I've had, and others not solved. I tend to go with Tylenol for anything above the lungs. I don't see sensitivity for staph on there, I figure staph is a common ailment for a chicken. Right now, since my chickens are Marek's exposed, and supposedly have a suppressed immune system, I've been trialing sulfadimethoxine and Tylan in the water for a week. So far so good. Looks like one hen and later a flock of 6 were really skinny but ate, and I put them on it for a week and they are all gaining weight. I can't say that solved it, but it maybe did.

So, Kathy, answering your question right off the bat I would have chosen Tylan. And I'm going to copy your chart of sensitivities there.

I have 3 bottles of Baytril here. But I haven't used them for anything.
I'm confused, where does it mention PCR and mycoplasma? I'm getting old and blind, lol.
old.gif

-Kathy

@seminolewind , here is more info from page 1 of the peachick test:

6/19/14: Antibiotic susceptibility is listed. The PCR assay is negative for
Mycoplasma sp.

MG RAPID PLATE TEST
1 Peacock Serum NEGATIVE

MS RAPID PLATE TEST
1 Peacock Serum NEGATIVE

This was on page three:

Back
Top Bottom