Tylan and penicillin for bubbles in the eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ironsfamilyfarm, Jan 8, 2015.

1. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
    Here is a very long thread about someone that had to treat her peachick for a respiratory infection
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846873/please-help-with-sick-peacock#post_14278601

Here's one about a duck:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...eriences-pekin-female-cough-voice-changes-now

Here are some pictures of my first and only sinus infection. Chick weight - 800 grams. Gave 0.16ml of 10% Baytril IM

Here it is at 9 am:
    [​IMG]

Four hours later:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here he is 8 hours later. Note that I have not wiped his face.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28 hours later - still some swelling that is hard to see in pictures and some clear drainage from nostril. Up five grams, which is not enough, but it's better than a loss.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick was 100% after just two shots, but gave two more per the recommendation of a vet.

Note that I haven't had to treat but this one, so not experienced enough to know what should and shouldn't be tried. [​IMG]

-Kathy

2. ironsfamilyfarm

ironsfamilyfarm In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    Thanks for posting the pictures Kathy. Your chick's eye looks identical to what mine look like. I am ordering the baytril today so that I have it on hand for any others that might come down with this. For now I am forced to start with the Tylan 50 since that is all I have on hand and I don't want to delay Treating them. Thanks everyone!

3. ironsfamilyfarm

Sep 20, 2013

I have been searching for the baytril and all these links look like they are for the kind you mix with water? Is there anywhere I can get it for injection? Can you give the other to them without mixing in water? I would rather inject it or give it orally if possible.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Kathy, I saw your peachick's pictures before with the Baytril treatment, and I still marvel at how quickly it worked.

5. eggsellentfarms

eggsellentfarms In the Brooder

Mar 26, 2010
    Oregon

I would be very cautious about using Baytril. Did you read the info on its restrictions? I looked into it when one of my ducks had bumblefoot. From what I understood it is illegal to use Baytril on any poultry that will EVER be eaten or produce eggs for human consumption. I don't know if it has ever happened, but evidently there is a risk of drug resistant bacteria being passed on to humans. Even if the is are low I wouldn't want to be responsible for that potential.
    Have you tried Vetrycin? It's basically a very diluted bleach that is extremely effective in fighting infections without harming the animal.

6. ironsfamilyfarm

Sep 20, 2013
    I do have some of that and have been rinsing the eyes with it, but it doesn't seem to have improved the problem.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress

Sep 6, 2007
    Corydon, Indiana
    Kathy, the report says negative PCR for Mycoplasma, so I wouldn't choose anything,
    (I'm having a problem with the quote button and the smileys, but know I'm saying this humorously.

I think it's real hard to pick an antibiotic. I usually end up using stuff that I see over and over on here for stuff on here. I've had pen g in my fridge, and solved most problems I've had, and others not solved. I tend to go with Tylenol for anything above the lungs. I don't see sensitivity for staph on there, I figure staph is a common ailment for a chicken. Right now, since my chickens are Marek's exposed, and supposedly have a suppressed immune system, I've been trialing sulfadimethoxine and Tylan in the water for a week. So far so good. Looks like one hen and later a flock of 6 were really skinny but ate, and I put them on it for a week and they are all gaining weight. I can't say that solved it, but it maybe did.

So, Kathy, answering your question right off the bat I would have chosen Tylan. And I'm going to copy your chart of sensitivities there.

I have 3 bottles of Baytril here. But I haven't used them for anything.

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    Corydon, Indiana
    dupe

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    Corydon, Indiana
    duplicate

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015