Tylobiotic, anyone heard of this?

I wouldn't give yogurt and buttermilk, just choose one and only give for a few days. About 1 Tablespoon per bird.

I just use whole buttermilk, but I don't give it to my birds that often.

What exactly are the GI issues? Do you feed a pelleted feed or a loose type feed?

I wouldn't give yogurt and buttermilk, just choose one and only give for a few days. About 1 Tablespoon per bird.

I just use whole buttermilk, but I don't give it to my birds that often.

What exactly are the GI issues? Do you feed a pelleted feed or a loose type feed?
No, would not give both. I’ll add some yogurt, I know they love it!

The poop is random, switches between hens (I check roosting locations at night to get a better idea of who) and will last a few days or up to a few weeks. No one has had it as bad nor as long as the girl I described above. I’ll attach some pics of what is there this morning.

The first two are samples of what can happen, these are from a week or two ago. But I cannot clean the vinyl because of moisture issues with the cold.
DB83718E-D8B8-4713-9AAF-5D6E09A8A197.jpeg
6B8A6B27-9C71-42C8-9D73-231E5A0900A6.jpeg
74C29B1F-0E7C-4C6B-92F3-BE5B8EE39317.jpeg
9C7F297E-FA24-4F5A-8C91-A18ED7A7D0B8.jpeg
502342E7-C6AD-499E-B066-72149948A282.jpeg
933E283C-D4F3-4044-9E5B-889330BEF299.jpeg
This last picture is from a Silkie I’ve been watching for a few days now. She is not eating nor drinking well but has not stopped fully. I brought her in for a dose of nutridrench and she ate a few bites of scrambled egg. She was not doing well a few months ago, gave her a few days of calcium (she stopped laying) and straight doses Corid and she improved. Still not laying but she gained all her weight back and was doing great. Now this… Whatever it is, it just keeps cycling through and I have no idea. The only constant in each treatment is the Corid. I did not dose the Silkie today. Maybe you have a suggestion or two or possibly some insight? 🤷🏼‍♀️

You mention they free range, do you have a compost pile?
Yes, we have one but I don’t add food to it.
I’ve noticed them hanging out, laying together, more in it this fall/winter. We add leaves and use to dump the mulch clean out from the coop. I am switching to sand though so all the coop clean out now goes in the trash. But I also scrape the ground every few days to keep the areas they eat (in containers) and walk around in poop free. But, it gets scraped into the corner where the leaves are. I try to keep it turned over to break down though right after leaves are added in the fall it stays wet underneath longer. I also do not throw any food or yummies in it to discourage them from eating/scratching in it. I added a Christmas tree last winter along the edge and that is where they are hanging out a lot now.

I just wanted to point out that the product Tylobiotic is only a 10% strength tylosin, and it has no probiotics, just some vitamins. You would be much better off using the full strength tylosin powder, and using either Probios powder or a plain brand name yogurt with live cultures.

Yes, fortunately it was not too expensive of a product. But after the info from here I think the full strength Tylosin or Denagard will be best.
I would love to get the GI mystery solved and under control. Right now that is my biggest concern. The MG is doing ok 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 But the Mareks has taken 3 bantams in 15 weeks. I do not believe their GI tract was the culprit for these guys but it painfully reminds me of what can happen on any given week so I get overly concerned when I see such watery stools under one bird for more than a a few days. If they are dehydrated and not digesting food properly then that is ripe for weight loss, stress, lowered immune and I’m sure you are following my thoughts here. Lol

Does anyone have the oral dosing for straight Tylosin per pound of bird? I have a girl on deaths door, poop has been basically water for over a week, and now she is barely eating. I'm really grasping at straws now and this is the last thing I can try.

Does anyone have the oral dosing for straight Tylosin per pound of bird? I have a girl on deaths door, poop has been basically water for over a week, and now she is barely eating. I'm really grasping at straws now and this is the last thing I can try.
Tylosin powder for the water is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. What brand are you using? Picture of the label helps. Some stores sell a weaker version that the 100%. Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 3-5 days. This one from Jedds is good at 99%:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Tylosin powder for the water is 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. What brand are you using? Picture of the label helps. Some stores sell a weaker version that the 100%. Tylan 50 injectable dosage is 1/4 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 3-5 days. This one from Jedds is good at 99%:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
I'm dealing with a hen that has no appetite and horrible watery poop. For some reason, the vet recommended Tylan 50 (which I thought was for respiratory infection?) but this is what I could find.

Attachments

• 20230325_143928.jpg
    20230325_143928.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom