Type and sex?? More pics added.

clhbubba

Songster
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Central Oklahoma
Of these two, I know the darker pied one is a male but the other one throws me off. They both display like males and the one with more white has barring but the feathers are a lighter color than the other one. Is it a different type(color) than the other one or a female, even though it displays.
18275_3oct_011.jpg

18275_3oct_014.jpg

Last edited:
2nd one is a silver pied. Females have silver back feathers. Cant tell in pic, need close up of those back feathers. Trouble with silver pied, if to much white, may need to sex like a white, cant see any shoulder feather.

How do the spurs look.

18275_3oct_024.jpg

18275_3oct_015.jpg

deerman, I don't know if these will help, but I tried to get closer and more on top. These two are displaying almost every morning we go out to feed. I have read on here that some females display as well, so I'm totally confused! Thanks for your help!

Displaying at any age has nothing to do with gender, tho older hens tend to do it in response to danger. Works, too. Mine has held off some large dogs and saved many chickens. You have some beautiful pieds. I suspect that it is a hen, but those feathers are so faded that they could be misleading.

both are males. the green you see on the silver pied bird shows it is a male... IB hens have green on neck too.... but its not that low on the shoulder.... both of those birds are male.... PRETTY silver pied!

Sorry need just a pic of those color feathers, on the back, pics of spurs, yes hens display. how old? barring on back?? if so its a male,still without shoulder feathers of color, cant tell if silver pied barred wing or silverpied blackshoulder.

older silver pied hens will show silver on the back,males will not.

send a pic to me ,email, so i can enlarge.

Thanks for all the replies. Will have to take better pics tomorrow, it's getting dark here now. They are approx. 3 1/2 - 4 months old. Will look for spurs.

Back
Top Bottom