Type of Easter Egger??

Oh yeah! It's funny, now I'm going on other people's "what will my ee look like" threads and telling them what these members told me.
Luckily she's a girl!

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5839.JPG

Her egg is the right one, the top left is my other ee.

Attachments

• IMG_6222.JPG
    IMG_6222.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4030.JPG
    IMG_4030.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 3
That's so cool! I never knew that could be guessed!
It's not easy to guess plumage ancestry on crossbred chickens, but I've been checking up enough crossbred threads recently to find a pattern.

Most crosses are either sex-linked or show a mix of both parent's plumages. If it's a sex-linked chicken, pullets are gold and cockerels are silver. If chickens aren't sex-linked yet have silver plumage like your hen, it means someone might have tried to sex-link their chicks by mating a silver rooster over a gold hen. Except that cross doesn't work, because silver is dominant to gold so all chicks will get their father's plumage color. Possibly, your hen had a Light Sussex dad and an Ameraucana mom. (I suspect a Silver Ameraucana mom, saddle feathers show a little bit of resemblance to Silver plumage.)

If chicken crosses aren't sex-linked or silver dominant, they can carry half their parent's plumages over their bodies. Ex: Buff Orpington roo over Splash Andalusian hen gave a pullet with a buff face and chest while her back-end faded into blue Andalusian feathers. I thought it was a one-chance occurrence, but I spotted similar results in other threads and on other sites so it's a bit ore common than I thought.

If the mix is truly a blend of both its parents, I try to look at body shape and aesthetics to figure out who's the mom and who's the dad. Usually, hens transmit body shape to their offsprings while roosters transmit plumage, eyes, legs and comb size, shape and colors. (sometimes though the results are equal, and sometimes the chick takes more after mom than dad.) In Ex n.2's case the body shape made my untrained eyes think of a Marans hen, but FuzzyCritters said it was a CCL roo x Welsumer hen cross, as CCL x Cuckoo Marans crosses are black-barred. (I had found it odd, too, that there were no leg feathers. Now I know why.)

Not everyone knows what their crosses and EEs are made of, so if I can have a rough estimate of their ancestry, I can try similar crossings at home later on if I decide to change flocks. I can also have a slightly better idea of what people are selling for EEs & crossbreds if I have previous examples to fall back on, based on the rooster and hens they use to make those chicks ^^

It's not easy to guess plumage ancestry on crossbred chickens, but I've been checking up enough crossbred threads recently to find a pattern.

Most crosses are either sex-linked or show a mix of both parent's plumages. If it's a sex-linked chicken, pullets are gold and cockerels are silver. If chickens aren't sex-linked yet have silver plumage like your hen, it means someone might have tried to sex-link their chicks by mating a silver rooster over a gold hen. Except that cross doesn't work, because silver is dominant to gold so all chicks will get their father's plumage color. Possibly, your hen had a Light Sussex dad and an Ameraucana mom. (I suspect a Silver Ameraucana mom, saddle feathers show a little bit of resemblance to Silver plumage.)

If chicken crosses aren't sex-linked or silver dominant, they can carry half their parent's plumages over their bodies. Ex: Buff Orpington roo over Splash Andalusian hen gave a pullet with a buff face and chest while her back-end faded into blue Andalusian feathers. I thought it was a one-chance occurrence, but I spotted similar results in other threads and on other sites so it's a bit ore common than I thought.

If the mix is truly a blend of both its parents, I try to look at body shape and aesthetics to figure out who's the mom and who's the dad. Usually, hens transmit body shape to their offsprings while roosters transmit plumage, eyes, legs and comb size, shape and colors. (sometimes though the results are equal, and sometimes the chick takes more after mom than dad.) In Ex n.2's case the body shape made my untrained eyes think of a Marans hen, but FuzzyCritters said it was a CCL roo x Welsumer hen cross, as CCL x Cuckoo Marans crosses are black-barred. (I had found it odd, too, that there were no leg feathers. Now I know why.)

Not everyone knows what their crosses and EEs are made of, so if I can have a rough estimate of their ancestry, I can try similar crossings at home later on if I decide to change flocks. I can also have a slightly better idea of what people are selling for EEs & crossbreds if I have previous examples to fall back on, based on the rooster and hens they use to make those chicks ^^
That's really interesting, thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom