Tyson "chickens out" (business article)

Now here is the scary part to me- They will be able to import the meat and not even tell you about it being foreign. It happens all the time with your beef. They ship beef in from Australia, Argentina, and Canada and do not even have to have country of origin labeling. So the chicken you eat WILL NOT have "Made in the USA" on it because it currently is not a requirement. Happy eating.
roll.png

"Made in Canada" should be the least of our worries. We share more than a common border with Canada. BUT!! made in China should scare the heck out of everyone.
They tried poisoning our pets and US. (Don't forget the anti-freeze in toothpaste) The world needs to wake up to the growing threat from China. About 90 cents of every dollar spent on Chinese "trinkets" goes into modernizing and expanding their military. And its not to keep the peace. They are selling weapons to thug nations/terrorists knowing full well that when its all said and done they'll just come in and clean up the mess they started through their proxies. They pretend to negotiate in good faith knowing full well they will never abide by their treaties and demand that we live up to our end while blatantly violating the same treaty.

Oh, I forgot, this was about Tyson.........
big_smile.png

I have refused to buy ANYTHING Tyson since the early 90's. They are one of those big EVIL companies. They have been busted for so many illegal acts its hard to believe they can still be in business. ( transporting illegals from the Mexican border to work in their sweat shops, claiming "no added hormones" etc........)

Last edited:
This is the paradox and the flaw in the free market theorists' thinking. It's a misunderstanding of what Adam Smith actually said and taking Freidman to his illogical extreme.

Freidman was a genius, but his theories, the basis of all American economic theory for the last 30 years - (remember trickle down economics?????) - are predicated on owners and operators, (ceos etc) working with the best interest of the company and the economy in mind. The theory was if business ran on its own with no interference the economy would be good for everyone. The flaw is in human nature.

Freidman underestimated greed. Running with little oversight, many CEOs etc raped, looted, and pillaged companies both here and abroad. They ran companies into the ground, raided their pension plans, and failed to reinvest capital into infrastructure.

Major government interference is not the answer BUT removal of all oversight has been a disaster.

WOW
ep.gif

I rarely watch tv, so I'm glad someone posted this thread recently or I wouldn't have seen it. That's disgusting... meat from China?!?!

I'm getting meat birds next spring... For real.

I live in one of the Farm areas of NW Michigan... surrounded by every sort of crop you can imagine---
and NONE of it is sold locally! It all goes to big corporations!

Luckily-- I know that much of it is for Gerber (nearby) and Stokleys canned Veggies--- so those are what I buy...
But to go to the local Grocery chain-- EVERYTHING is from either a different State or a different Country!? What sence does that make?
The tiny bit that makes it to "farm markets" is so highly priced, we can't afford it!

Worse-- our neighborhood farmers were told by the companies they grow for to either NOT sell anything locally (there used to be a veggie stand at the corner where they'd sell whatever was being harvested) or they'd lose their contracts!

SOME Farmers were paid by the US Givt to not grow at all! Their fields lay fallow instead of producing grain! What is that??? We IMPORT Grain from other countries while paying OUR farmers not to grow it???

We just started our "hatchery"...we'll be eating eggs and our own chicken-- we even plan to get a couple pigs and a dairy cow in the spring....

I am approaching the local govt. here to see about starting a "Local crops for local families" type co-op where farmers/small backyard growers can sell their excess eggs, milk, produce etc..... The Amish do allready, but on a very small scale--- maybe they would be open to expanding and including other local farmers????

Time to become Lacto-ova (sp?) vegetarians I think!

Last edited:
I am torn between being part of the intelligentsia and a proletariate rebel-- I guess since I have no money a prole I must be...but then weren't WWI and WWII started by the farmers...?

Anyhow--I was a vegetarian before I got married and it was not as hard as you might think. I was healthy, thinner, and had energy coming out of my pores...Simple fact is that I did not do it for idealism, or religion--my father had advanced Cardiac disease and the Doctor said he had to change his lifestyle and eating habits. I am toying with the idea again but only because I am a wimp and do not know if I want to process my own birds--but the paradox is --I am still eating the factory chicken from the market... The future truth is we can't say we didn't know so the time has come to make some choices about the future of our food! Viva la Revolution!
barnie.gif

I myself would not want any Tyson chickens raised in China and shipped to America. I am not a fan of any of the major commerical chicken farms and processing plants here in the states, that is why we raise our own. I have traveled in China and I have always eaten fresh chickens mostly free-range, when at a restaurant or you go to a market they are alive when you purchase them not like here. The Chinese at the market or the restaurant kill them then prepare them for your meal or you take it home to prepare them this goes for most seafood and fowl. Some of your more populated cities have supermarkets similiar to here and more meats are precut and frozen. I have eaten many meals in China and have yet to have any problems, they are well know for their cuisine (I prefer Cantonese) which is actually very healthy, made from stratch and no processed can foods, sweets are not part of your meal but fresh tropical fruits, look at the people they are not obese their only problem is the West and it's influence on them and most men smoke to much, I believe the US is the major supplier of cigarettes to China. So many of their people are now eating western foods like McDonalds, Pizza, KFC and children are finding themselves going to the hospital.

Last edited:
Quote:
Chiknlady- in my opinion, you don't have to stop eating meat in order to eat more healthy. We are omnivores and omnivores eat meat. Our bodies are made for it. Food doesn't make you well as much as food can make you sick. It is how and what we eat in this country that makes us overweight and makes us sick. I saw a statistic somewhere that some really huge number (I forget the amount) of Americans eat practically all their meals from fast food joints.

The only true "diet" is to 1. eat less, 2. eat mostly fruit, vegatables and whole grains and 3. eat only lean meat and not very much of it. Oh and throw away all the fat free stuff.

If you want to eat meat but don't want the factory made stuff and can't raise your own, see if there are any places nearby that sell pastured chicken and/or grass-fed beef. Here is a link to some farms in PA that raise and sale pastured products http://www.eatwild.com/products/pennsylvania.html.

Usually
you can go to these farms and buy meat directly from the producer. Also, there are food buying co-ops everywhere. My wife and I buy poultry and beef through a co-op in our neighborhood. You can call the farmers and ask them for a list of co-ops that buy their product.

Dennis

Dawg, you make a good point--this should not be a nationalist debate--but one about food safety regardless of country or point of origin. Xenophobia is not going to help--however I think we have equally as bad a track record in exporting death and disease....I am equally appalled by bioengineered, irradiated, hybridized, and otherwise unnaturally altered foods...

I appreciate the link Dennis, I have actually used the site to purchase beef before. I guess I am just frustrated. I am eating healthier but--the choices seem harder. I know all of the arguments about us being an omnivore from our teeth down to our digestive juices. I am also aware that chimps are omnivores, but Gorillas are strict vegetarians and they are both fellow primates. So I guess I am doing some soul searching and there is no one true path--it has to be what's right for me and my daughter. In the mean time I will stay away from the processed garbage and keep moving--afterall chasing chickens is great exercise.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom