Tyson "chickens out" (business article)

Quote:
How would them going out of business be a wonderful silverlining to these current economic woes when 1,000's of people would be unemployed? Here in Arkansas there are not an abundance of jobs. I don't agree with what they do but I don't think closing them down is going to make the economy wonderful.

I get my meat birds in Sept.

jackie

Quote:
I'm with ya on that. A friend told me about Privett Hatchery and I am going to purchase not 50 like I was thinking but 100 birds to try and sustain us here. Already have plans drawn up for a process station in my back yard.

It is simply amazing how blind we are as Americans how much of our country is owned by someone or a company that is not American. Those companies do not hold the loyality to us and do not have the same standards as we think we have. I can remember whe Walmart advertised it used American made products now to find them in their stores now is almost impossible. Everything is made overseas by children!!! They work their kids into the ground and they start at young ages like 10 or so. So when I look at something that is poorly made I think to myself " wonder how old of a child made this?" They do have adults also but use the very cheap child labor and we do not think twice about it.
I guess i should also say we do not have to worry about someone else coming in and destroying us because we are killing ourselves from the inside already. SElling out to overseas companies buying all our goods from overseas and our economy on the downside...no matter what the media says it is bad out there when you see everyday people taking scrap metal to the yard so they can make ends meet.

Last edited:
Quote:
How would them going out of business be a wonderful silverlining to these current economic woes when 1,000's of people would be unemployed? Here in Arkansas there are not an abundance of jobs. I don't agree with what they do but I don't think closing them down is going to make the economy wonderful.

I get my meat birds in Sept.

jackie

I'm hopeful that the price of fuel and transport will put the brakes on the morally bankrupt global economy and encourge smaller, local businesses to flourish. In other words, local farmers will supply food for local people that will be competative because it will no longer pay to ship things far away.

well I am not anti-China or anti-commerce--I just want to be one of the few who it won't affect and I like other Americans will buy what's on sale. So if demand goes up in the US and prices are too high--cheep (just joking) imports will come in--raised under God knows what conditions and fed unmentionable things. I like to be in the know kinda like we are all getting the same message at the same time--grow your own food...raise your own meat, bake your own bread etc...
It will be awful if another rural business goes belly up--but I think this economy will get worse before it gets better and I want to be prepared--I may need to get locks for the hen houses....nah I'm just getting even more paranoid.
D.gif

i say we are already hitting a depression or are dang close to it and it those of us that are more self sufficient than others that are going to be better off soon. so grow ur own they taste better anyway.

my dad used to sell grain to Perdue and he was very impressed with their chicken operation. He said it was just like they advertised on tv. very clean and spacious and the best food.

Ive begun to buy as much as I can local. I find myself in walmart less than once a week where as I used to go a couple times a week. I will buy from the local Ace hardware because its owned locally or from a supermarket chain thats home office is local and they buy from local producers. Farmers stands are just starting to open and I buy from them. And of course most of the meat we eat is venison my son or dad harvested.

This is a very interesting thread.

After the dog food scare, my husband has been making our 4 dogs their own dog food. Although we supplement with dry, I would absolutely be beside myself if I lost a pet to poor food that was inspected by the FDA or USDA like so many Americans did not so long ago.

Sortly after the dog food, tooth paste, and Matel Toy scare, my husband and I decided to become more self sufficient. Recently, we decised to learn how to make our own bread.

This summer we are building our own coop/run to start raising meet and eggs, (I'll have a few girls as pets) and we will be starting a garden patch this fall and spring where our above ground pool stands today.

Now with the price of gas, the pending election and it's out come, and current financial situation of the good old USA, at least we won't starve if the economists perdictions come true.

I work in an industry where 85% of the imports into the US are from China. I am sorry to report, but the current state of the FDA is not ready for the current import situation that is why we had the dog food/toy/tooth paste scare... the FDA is too worked up over ink pens, computers, cell phones and TVs being harmful... and those rules for importation changes daily without warning...

Although polutry is governed by the USDA, I doubt they will be ready for the surge of imports from China regarding chicken products if Tyson goes under in the USA. Heck, they couldn't hunt down the tomato scare this summer and that was product in MEXICO... Later to be determined the source was from Jalepino (sp?) peppers!

As of today, China already imports perishable foods into the USA... Apples and Crawfish are the two that I put back on the shelf after reading their origin on the label.

For those of us who are thinking ahead, plan now and stay up to date!

Back
Top Bottom