1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

U Can Sex your Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nupine, May 22, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Songster

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok, I have seen this thing on ebay like a million times, have any of you tried it? How does it work? Is it one of those thing where you ask it a question and it either goes back and forth or in a circular motion? What in the world is it?
    Ashlyn

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Something like a needle on a string type deal, an old wives tale. You do just as well flipping a quarter. The odds are 50/50 you'd be correct.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Do you have a link or a picture?

4. clarkestep

clarkestep Songster

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    I just saw something on the discovery channel just about 30 minutes ago on chick processing plants. They put these hours old babies on a conveyer belt shell and all. The babies fell through the cracks and then down another belt and dropped off into the shipping boxes. I almost cried. Poor babies!

BUT they did show how they sex them. Look at their wing feathers. If they are all the same length it is a roo. If they are staggared long short, long short it is a hen. I thought it was so cool!

Oh I just did a google search on it. It seems that this method used to determine the sex of newly hatched chicks is only possible if a female from a slow-feathering breed is crossed with a male from a fast-feathering breed. So I suppose it wouldn't work on all chicks. Oh well...

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    People will sell anything on Ebay to make a quick buck sometimes. I once saw an auction going for a jar filled with burnt cigarette butts and people were bidding. [​IMG] [​IMG]

While this old wives tale has been around for many years, the odds are the same as pointing at them and guessing. 50/50

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: