Ugghh! I could shoot myself!

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
I am so mad at myself! I forgot to refill the humidifier today, so the humidity dropped for a few hours. I candled all the eggs, and sure enough, one of them was dead, and a couple others, though alive, looked less active than the others. Uggh! I guess it happens, but I am down to 7 eggs now
sad.png
. I guess the good thing is I am learning. I was able to identify the dead egg with no problem this time!

Now I need some lessons in watching chickies HATCH and not die!! LOL

I wouldn't be so quick to throw it out yet. If the humidity was only down for a few hours, it might be just resting. I would wait. You don't say what day you are on if you are close to hatch it might be ok, if you arent close to hatch, wait and candle it again in a few days to make sure.
Forgot to say good luck on your hatch.

Last edited:
like NHNANA said, depending on what day you are on it might of done nothing to the eggs, as eggs get closer to hatching time its hard to candle and see movement !!!

Please let us know what day your on and what the hum fell to !!!!!!

Good luck !!!!

Yesterday was day 13 and the humidity fell to i think 34 for a few hours. I had gone out of the house for a few hours. It was ok when I left, but when I got home, the bator was dry. The egg didnt have veins anymore, and I went ahead and opened it and it was dead, the blood had pooled and wasnt circulating anymore, and the chick was still. Maybe the humidity wasnt even the cause, I can't be sure. I watched the other eggs, and they all seem fine so far. With 7 left, hopefully I will have some hatching going on this weekend! (crosses fingers, please please please, does the "i love you chickies I hope you hatch" dance)

Well this is my first hatch, so I am kinda fumbling around. The hatch started with humidity around 45 because my bator (rcom 20 pro) has that as its automatic setting. Then I found that the air sacs were getting rather large, and moving down the sides of the eggs, so I bumped the humidity up to around 50 or so. That is where it is now. Again this is my first time, so I am just muddling along!

Quote:
I do the same. Then only in the 50's for hatching, the chicks hatching naturally up the humidity to the high 60's/low 70's%. Good luck!

Quote:
I do the same. Then only in the 50's for hatching, the chicks hatching naturally up the humidity to the high 60's/low 70's%. Good luck!

Hmm interesting...

Quote:

Hmm interesting...

You really do need to figure what works best for you. I have wracked my brain in the beginning trying to *perfect* the method. Trying what other people do etc. I had a few hatches that had a very high chick mortality, they were fully developed but never hatched. When opened they were very, very wet. I started doing it this way and the only chicks I usually lose day 19-21 are chicks that were too large to pip and get out(some pullet eggs mostly). What works for some may not work for others. Good luck working out the bugs
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom