ugh, chicks not going back in coop at night.

daniel-delarosa

Songster
9 Years
Dec 14, 2010
Seminole, Oklahoma
I opened the door to the world to my 8 week old chicks today. I moved them from the brooder to the coop a week or so ago. I kept the closed for a few days for them to learn where home is. Well, I went out to check on them an hour after dark and found them in the far corner of the run huddled up. I guess I will keep them in lock down a little longer. How long should it take for them to understand that they are supposed to go inside the coop at night?

Go out about an hour before dark and round them up. Drive them into the coop. It want take but a few times and they will learn.
frow.gif

I kept mine put up in the hen house for a week before I let mine out to the world and and when it started to get dark they go back to the hen house.

A light will help a LOT....they don't really want to be in the dark, so will go where its lightest as dusk falls. If the inside of their coop is darker than outside, they will huddle outside. You can train them to go inside regardless, but with young chicks the whole thing will be easier for everyone by giving them some light inside. Even a 15 watt bulb would work.

It usually takes a week or so of rounding them up before dark before they figure it out and go in on their own. Just be persistent and they will figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom