Ugh - friend just sent anti-chick article saying they have salmonella

I have a "friend" who told me that I'm crazy for having chickens because she started out with 6 and in 2 years ended up with 600. She can be so discouraging at times but its just her personality.

Then when we got our ducklings, she gave reasons we shouldn't them as well. Oh well...we like chickens and ducks and other feathered critters. LOL

Laurie

Sounds like this person has a political axe to grind that far outweighs anything else.

We had a crew of nuts up this way that got the food shelves to stop accepting venison from deer hunters because it was shot with lead bullets.

Between venison, chicken and eggs I guess I shoulda been dead 30 years ago...

Too much of these "well-meaning" meddlers have a far larger agenda than just being concerned about our 'safety'..

All them negative people are just plain jealous of your happiness.
bun.gif

Wow, such negativity. Drop the friend like a rock? Where is the charity and desire to educate that this forum is supposedly known for? Did anyone even read the article?

Salmonella, as well as many other animal borne diseases, is a real risk but you can take precautions. Maybe we should focus on the education and precautions.

As I read the first page of this thread I was angry, then I started thinking "this is your friend". Friends need to help eachother, be there for eachother, and show them that there is no harm in YOU raising chickens!

Don't "drop her". Educate her.

Friends need to not be manipulative and passive aggressive. I think that's where the negativity comes in. It wasn't sending something to the OP that people were disturbed about, it was the mass mailing to other people that had nothing to do with the situation.

Do all of these people get e-mails from her on a regular basis on a variety of topics? Do they all have children under the age of five? If so, it's possible it was a co-incidence. A rude, insensitive co-incidence.

If all the people she e-mailed with this information don't routinely get informational alerts from her and don't have children under the age of five, then I would say that Easter was just an excuse for some disturbing behavior on her part.

Education is always a good thing. I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't.

Heh, its all about how clean you keep your pets and livestock. I raise turtles indoors and have never got an infection from them, although they might have got one from me since I go out and about in the world. Anyways, the last time I checked the deadliest disease to humans are carried by other humans.

I have chickens,geese,ducks, 4 red eared slider turtles and also 4 leopard geckos and my family has never had any problems with salmonella. we handle them all daily

Quote:
That is so stupid! Does she take her kids to the zoo, does she feed them peanuts, has she never heard of soap and water?!

We actually keep a bottle of purell by our brooder so we squirt some one BEFORE we touch our babies so WE don't make them sick. We then use it again after handling and follow up with soap and water when we go back upstairs. Stupid paranoid people tick me off!

Quote:
I get it all the time from my mother because we have snakes (3 of them) but she never mentions the chickens....hmmmmm....could it be because she has chickens too!!! People fear what they don't understand. Period. Oh, and I have a child with a compromised immune system who holds the snakes and the chickens all the time.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom