1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ugh - how do I get it off her butt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HennysMom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Okay - issue here [​IMG]

One of my girls has what appears to be poop all over her butt, just sort of hanging on the back feathers, not anywhere near her vent or anything so its not pasting (thank goodness!). So last night hubby and I TRIED (notice I said tried there [​IMG]) to get it off by holding her and taking a wet rag to it...but - it was no use. She squawked and carried on like I was killing her![​IMG]

So - do I clip it off or.. ??? [​IMG]

Dont want my girl walzing around with poopy butt - its soooo unsophisticated you know [​IMG] poor thing trying to shake her tail feathers and all she's shaking is...well... a load of poop!

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    When my birds get poopy butt I snip it off

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cut it off, much easier than trying to clean it. [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

This happens once and while as long as its not covering the "hole" I dont think you need to be to concerned !!

When it happens to my girls I just leave it alone (like i said as long as it's not covering the "hole") Usally within a few days it drys up and goes away !!

BUT.... If you really dont want her looking like a poopy butt you could trim the poop off, just make sure you dont leave the area bare (could cause the others to start pecking at the spot and that would be bad also) also make sure you dont cut any feathers that would make her bleed !! Or you could soak her in a nice warm bath to get it off (make sure you dont put her outside wet if its cold where you are) or blow dry her !! It really all depends on how much it bothers you (since im sure its not bothing her) and how much work you want to put into it !! Good luck !!

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

LOL My son says "mom...Melody has a passenger" ROFL!!!![​IMG]

Oh my...goodness..gotta love kids huh?

So...since its those really fine feathers - how close do I snip and does it hurt to clip them? Poor little girl..gonna have a nekkid hiney! [​IMG] Did I mention it's already dried...really hard? LOL

Thanks you guys...ya'll are the best!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Just snip as close to the poop as possible.

7. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I personally would not cut it out, I would wash it with warm water, not a rag, but warm running water. If they yell, let them yell, you know your not hurting them.
    Do you want chickens with bare bottoms? Thats what you going to get if you start cutting the feathers.
    Try and find out why she has runny poop. Have you wormed them? Does she appear sick? Have you been feeding treats? Are there any mites or lice?
    If you can find the reason for the problem, you can rid yourself of the problem.

8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    is it a cochin or Buff Orp???

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This happens every once in awhile to my girls also. I think it just depends on what they've eaten recently. Anyways, I've always just left it alone and they clean it off themselves. It is much easier that way then trying to wrestle a hen who has no desire to have her hiney wiped off! [​IMG]

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    One of my EEs recently had a hunk 'o poop dried up in her back end feathers. I tried to wash it off, it wouldn't budge. I think I'd have had to let her soak for hours. I ended up clipping it CAREFULLY off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by