Ugh, I can't get it right! Humidity issue

love-my-wolves

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Front Royal, VA
hit.gif
Please help me. I have a homemade cooler incubator. All hooked up. Temps great. Humidity way too high! 83! I live in central FL, and don't know what to do. Dehumidifier won't work (I would need 8, as I have open floorplan). Any tricks to lowering humidity in just my bator? BTW, I used my temp/hum gauge in the room, and the hum was at 55! But temp was 76. What am I doing wrong?
hit.gif

Take the water out of the bator and let it run a few hours. Have you got the plugs open? Make sure you have ventilation. In high humidity climates you will need less water in the bator.

Oh, could it be my fan, as I don't have a pc fan so stole the one from my air hockey table. (ok, it was the kids, but they haven't used it in forever, so they wouldn't notice) It doesn't blow cold, just fan only, but maybe it is too much?

What about keeping the bator in a cooler room. I am in South Texas, and I hate humidity, but if the room is cool enough I would think it would lower it.

Ok, thanks everyone, I think I got it. 95* and 30% (when I just checked) Might need to tweek the humidity higher, but that's ok, I can do that fine. Whew, feel much better now!!!
big_smile.png

Hi there,

I live in Houston and its humid here too. Here is what you do. You can easily raise and lower your humidity by increasing and lowering the SURFACE AREA of the water reservoir in your incubator. Since most people are not living with near 100% humidity all the time, it can be frustrating to think you've done everything like everyone else on here seems to be doing it - and then your temps are spiking all over.

1. First plug in bator to get temp right and thermostat is set - maintaining consistent desired temp.

2. Use medicine cups or Dixie cups to put one cup in at a time (don't pour in - set whole cup into incubator) waiting an hour in between until your hygrometer reflects proper humidity. Try to keep it at 50 - 60% until you are nearing hatch date - then add cups to get it to 70 - 75% so your chicks stay lubricated during the process.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom