UGH! I think I got a dude from the pullet bin!

It was so cute, that I put it in my BYC Avatar for cryin'-out-loud! UGH! It's so frustrating.. Paying for one thing, and getting something else. Something that my neighbors will be none too happy about. Plus, our permit inspection comes this week, I certainly hope he doesn't decide to start crowing for the first time when she shows up!

And the guy at Agway was so re-assuring, "Oh yea, of the 500 or so sexed chicks we get every spring, only about 5 of them come back boys." But there's nothing they can do for me, I can't take just one more chick...Can't get more than 6...

Why did I have to be the one with a boy? OMG, sorry, I'm just SO darn frustrated! LOL!

lol.png

barnie.gif

I know the feeling... we just moved out to our farm, so i got about 30 pullets. Out of that 30, at least 5 are boys
sad.png
So, I'm guessing that the odds are not what they tell you in the stores, lol.

First, it is NOT an Ameraucana, it is an EE. Second, I think it is way too early to be calling the gender, EEs tend to be difficult up until they get their saddle and pointy hackle feathers or start to crow or lay. I can only guess that people are calling the gender based on the color, which isn't always certain.
But yes, it is quite easy that you could get a cockerel in the pullet bin since sexing isn't a 100% thing and then the fact that people looking at chicks may mix them up accidentally.

certainly wait until a crow or an egg, but that is a boy...

I am judging by a few things, and none of which are color. His comb is much too pink at that age, and his tail is held upright, not fanned out like the pullets tend to be. Just as difficult as it is to sex EE's, it can be just as easy as well
smile.png

Let me know when HE crows for the first time lol, I am curious
big_smile.png

Pictures of my EE cockerel at 3-5 weeks and pullet same breed/age.

Cockerel in back, pullet in front

Chicks3Weeks025.jpg

Tail:

Chicks3Weeks041.jpg

Chicks3Weeks010.jpg

Cockerel and Pullet to compare

ChicksNewPictures044.jpg

SFandChicks076.jpg

SFandChicks068.jpg

SFandChicks062.jpg

SFandChicks075.jpg

Pullet:

SFandChicks058.jpg

NewChicks5weeks040.jpg

Last edited:
Does everyone that gets a roo from the pullet bin actually go back to the store? I just considered it a bummer, one of those things that happens with chickens. I didn't go back to either feed store and tell them I ended up with a roo, there's no way they'd know the final count.

Those are some darn cute chickens! What bright, green legs they have.

I am NO expert at all. I can only say that I would recommend waiting to be sure. Don't jump to conclusions. All the experienced posters before me all have very good arguments. But, you don't want to make any hasty decisions.....

Quote:

I got an EE "pullet" at the feed store years ago. I named him Friday figuring that it was must have been a Friday afternoon when he was sexed.

I didn't bring my boy back to the feed store, I took it as good odds to get 1 cockerel out of 4 chicks. I rehomed him to a wonderful lady nearby that had 20 EE pullets who needed a 'man'! He was quite happy to leave me and never looked back when I set him free with his MANY girlfriends haha. I had him listed for 10 bucks to weed out anybody looking for a free meal on craigslist. I told the lady she could have him free, but she paid me the 10 bucks regardless.

You can definately rehome him, and the feed store may take him back, not sure about that. My feed store says no refunds on chicks, especially because of gender. Either way he is handsom! Will make somebody a pretty roo
smile.png
if he ends up being a cockerel. If not awesome!
big_smile.png
got yourself another layer. Do let us know though, I am curious.

**From the rules:
* Be friendly and courteous to all members at all times.

Please be kind when posting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom