Ugh...kids

Oh my, that's awful. Hopefully they are just off exploring and wander back. I knew somebody whose peas came back after 2 months and I think I read a post here about somebody else who found his like 5 miles away in somebodies yard.

Yes, I'm pretty disgusted by the whole ordeal. I wasn't ever going to let them free range, I had planned on building them a flight pen later this summer when I had enough money to get the materials. But everyone told me that since I got them young and they'd been in that same building for 9 months that they'd go back to the building to sleep. So I figured I'd let them out a little while so they could 'be birds'. I've alerted some of the neighbors and plan to put a 'lost pet' ad in the paper. There is only one other person in my 'area' that has peas, but he is about 5 miles from here 'up on the ridge'...we're 'down in the holler'. I don't know if they'd make it there...I'd like to think so. We are backed by who knows how many acres of government 'preservation' (hunting) land, so they've got quite a bit of wilderness to get lost in.

I hope they come back, but I'm not going to hold my breath. This was the first time they'd ever been out and I just don't see how they'd find their way back.
sad.png

OMG, that is a painful story to hear. I've just gotten two new grown peafowl, a peacock (4 years old) and a peahen (2 years old). They'll be confined at least a month till they get used to their new surroundings. We have one other peahen that, I hope, will teach them about our place once we let them out to free range. What a scary thing, to think of losing one's peafowl like that. All my sympathy to you!!

Yeah, especially after I kept them up for so long because I was afraid I'd lose them...guess I should have listened to myself.
sad.png

I've found a person a few hours away that has a pair available. Bad part is he wants $150 for the pair. I figured that, I only paid $50 for mine but I got them when they were 4-5 months old. But he says the male is an IB pied white-eye split to purple and the hen is an IB split to black shoulder. Lot of jargon to me, I don't think them being splits makes much difference if they aren't split to the same thing?

I will get my flight pen built before bringing any more peas on here...that's just too much ($$) bird to lose
he.gif

Quote:
Only the peacock can be split purple , and you will get some purple female chick from him.....sex link so any purple chicks will be females. also white eye only one parent need to be white eye ,to get white eye. So would be a nice pair.

So it's been 2 weeks since I turned my peas out for the first time. I've alerted neighbors and posted 'lost pet' ads in a local paper and online. This morning (Sunday) I get a call from someone saying they saw one of my ads and my peas are at their house!
ep.gif
My dad is in Indiana this weekend visiting family, so by the time I got to this person's house to see if I could catch them they had already disappeared
hit.gif
But he said that his dogs have been raising Cain a lot the past few days, so maybe the peas are roosting in the area?
fl.gif
Hopefully they'll stick around his place and we'll be able to collect them soon
fl.gif

Shelley, I just read your post, YEAH! I sure hope you round up those wiley Peas. You might use some long grass string next time they get to 'free-range', in case you need to reel them in.
lau.gif

Quote:
If I ever catch them I doubt I'll be able (or willing) to let them free range ever again! I would think since they've been roaming the countryside for 2 weeks they wouldn't hesitate to do so again.

The place where they were spotted is at least 2 miles through the wilderness.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom