UGH! My neighbor wants chickens!!!

joanm

Songster
12 Years
May 13, 2007
I was out in my yard yesterday and my neighbor that lives behind me came walking up, and said she’s been admiring my chickens. They are so pretty! I told her they are all hens and they just started laying eggs. Well she commenced to asking questions. “I thought you had to have a rooster for eggs.” “Are they expensive?” “Do you really need a coop to keep them.” I told her yes, we have hawks in the area. Then she asked me, “What’s a hawk? Are they tame?” Geeze Louise!!! I looked at her like she had two heads!

Keep in mind this is the kind of person that will get a dog, keep it outside on a chain or in the dog kennel they bought from me for CHEAP – they didn't install the pen properly so every dog they've had escapes - never interacts with them, and then decides she doesn’t want them and turns them loose. Her place is a dump, it’s so obvious she won’t take care of chickens either!

sad.png

people like that make me so sad!!! animals should be better protected by law..... but i won't even step up onto that soapbox! it's too early...
caf.gif

hopefully she will be content to come and check out your chickens and live vicariously through you... if not, you should talk about how EXPENSIVE they are to keep, how DEMANDING of your time and attention, what a TRULY HUGE pain in the butt they are. and then sweetly offer to sell her some of your eggs to offset the ENORMOUS burden that they put on you...
big_smile.png

and THEN remember: if you grit your teeth hard enough, it kinda looks like you're smiling.

Hey TC-

Good, sage advice! I didn't think of that! Or the smell! Tell them what a horrid smell they make...people like my neighbors are prissy about smells like chicken manure. Ugh! They woud rather keep them over....THERE vs keeping the coop/s clean. My neighbors (unfortunately) already chickens...indeed they had them before I did, but they don't let them free...just keep them in the barn with a mini-run where the floor is made out of concrete. How can chickens scratch on concrete? I ask you? (I just hope the INside of the barn has dirt.) I think their chickens are stressed out since NONE of them have tail feathers and they are the white leghorn variety...shouldn't they have tails? Their tails are all pink skin. Ugh! Is there such a breed of chickens? I've looked and haven't seen it...I think they are just pecking at each other. Poor guys!

~c:->

Give her some of your eggs so she won't feel the need to get her own chickens??

I suppose you should charge her, but if a few free eggs keeps your blood pressure down, that may be a good trade off for you!

That's what wooden privacy fences are for! Then you deal with your neighbors on your terms, not theirs. It's made a world of difference in my backyard piece of mind!!

Quote:
That's how I ended up with my Rockie. The kid next door got 25 chicks and stopped taking care of them. The last two that survived were smart enough to find a way under the fence between our yards and join my flock. He never came looking for them so I never told him I had them.

and THEN remember: if you grit your teeth hard enough, it kinda looks like you're smiling.

Heard that before but it always makes me laugh out loud
My blood pressure thanks you.​

Back
Top Bottom