Ugh! New chicken mama with a wounded chicken

Panhandle chick

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
North Idaho
Tonight while putting chickens up I spotted this girl with a good wound under her right wing. Can I flush with colloidal silver? Blue kote would sting like a mother, I also have peroxide or corona. I think it’s from the rooster.
thanks in advance

Attachments

• E47C917C-F93F-4217-8F88-C573698F4454.jpeg
    E47C917C-F93F-4217-8F88-C573698F4454.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 14
So far I have cleaned w/peroxide, put antibiotic ointment on wound and then placed a maxi pad under wing and over wound so she can’t peck at it.. then gently wrapped with animal flex bandage around her ‘waist’- oye. I can run to tractor supply tomorrow if I need more. I have liquid bandage for my dogs- didn’t know if that would work or if it would sting
Thanks for any advice!❤️

@3KillerBs @MysteryChicken @TheAlrightyGina they might can't help but maybe they can tag a few people

I have very little experience with chicken wounds.

The one time I had a hen with an injury I did as I was advised here by cleaning it with peroxide then isolating her in a dog crate to protect her while she healed -- keeping her in the flock so as to prevent pecking order problems but not letting her over-exert herself or the other pick at her.

Hopefully you can get more experienced advice. I don't know who to tag in re: injuries.

Tonight while putting chickens up I spotted this girl with a good wound under her right wing. Can I flush with colloidal silver? Blue kote would sting like a mother, I also have peroxide or corona. I think it’s from the rooster.
thanks in advance
I'd just clean it with mild soapy water, & apply Triple Antibiotic Ointment. The ointment needs to be applied every day, until it heals.

I have very little experience with chicken wounds.

The one time I had a hen with an injury I did as I was advised here by cleaning it with peroxide then isolating her in a dog crate to protect her while she healed -- keeping her in the flock so as to prevent pecking order problems but not letting her over-exert herself or the other pick at her.

Hopefully you can get more experienced advice. I don't know who to tag in re: injuries.
I've always used hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds. The others say not to, because it can cause tissue damage. I never had a problem with hydrogen peroxide, or damaged tissue due too it.

Thanks everyone! I found online the directions to use peroxide and did it then read later in other strings not to- we will see what happens. I will continue the triple antibiotic daily- right now she is in a wire crate in my bathroom. Kind of a side note- I have 30 chickens and the rooster seems to really pick on her and one other.. would you say he’s got to go? He’s tries to go ninja on me often.

thanks everyone!!

thanks in advance

So far I have cleaned w/peroxide, put antibiotic ointment on wound and then placed a maxi pad under wing and over wound so she can’t peck at it.. then gently wrapped with animal flex bandage around her ‘waist’- oye. I can run to tractor supply tomorrow if I need more. I have liquid bandage for my dogs- didn’t know if that would work or if it would sting
Thanks for any advice!❤️

I've always used hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds. The others say not to, because it can cause tissue damage. I never had a problem with hydrogen peroxide, or damaged tissue due too it.
A 1 time flushing of Hydrogen Peroxide can be helpful.
Continued use can cause tissue damage.

Wound looks pretty straight forward. Keep it clean, apply your ointment. I would not cover unless she's picking at it.

If you think it's from the rooster, then he may need a spur or nail trim/filing, so check him out to see if he needs a manicure. It's not uncommon for a spur or nail to cut a hen accidentally.

Back
Top Bottom