UGH! Pullets POO In Water! Ideas?

How high are your waterers?

Are they just pooping in them by roosting on them or walking around too? I have my feeder/waterer up high enough so my shortest hen can just get her head over. Any lower and they kick all kinds of crap into it.

If it's roosting and they're just sitting on blocks, maybe if you attached them to the roof by a chain it would make them more unstable and therefore less desirable to roost on? Again at the height of the shortest hen

hanging them would prob work, anything that makes it hard to ballance on top. I put a block of wood next to the waterer so the smallestbird can hop onto to get a drink, no poo since there is a shelf over the whole thing, less work for me, but somehow they always get some shavings and chips into it, just so long as its not poo!

Old frisbees and coffee can lids make good covers for feeders and waterers. Some may need a slit cut in top to fit. You might put 2x4's with wide side up for roosts. I have both round branches and 2x4's, and everybody including small chickens like the flat roosts.

My feed store sells these plastic cones. I have one on top of each and they can't get up on top to roost so mine stay clean.

Try something like that. You could probably even fashion one out of paper or cardboard and tape it to your feeder and waterer.

I hung mine from the ceiling with chains. That stopped the pooping problem and stopped them getting feed in the waterer too. It does mean having extras in the winter to bring in to thaw while the others go out with warm water in them...
hmm.png

I had one that liked to roost on the waterer. Here is what I did. I took a pot that I had from when I bought a plant (like a 1 gallon plant container thing) and turned it upside down. Then I used about a hundred yards of foil tape to tape a funnel on the bottom of it so the pointy part sticks up. The opening of the pot fits perfectly over the top of the waterer, and it's easy to remove for when I fill the waterer. I tried a milk carton but it would either fall off (if I cut the hole too big) or be nearly impossible to get off and on (if the hole was too small). The funnel/pot looks nice too. It's all shiny.
lol.png

I cut the bottom off of a plastic milk carton and placed the remainder over the top of water to keep them from roosting on it. Zip tied it to the wall so they couldn't pick it off. It also sits up on a board about the height of their backs. No more poopy waterer.

Back
Top Bottom