UGH! Pullets POO In Water! Ideas?

Astrid

Songster
14 Years
Dec 30, 2007
Connecticut
Hi there,
I've got six pullets, hatched August 2, who are separated from the three two year old hens by a wire x-pen. They have a separate door to a separate outdoor run, their own feeder and waterer and a lovely roost, yet they INSIST on piling up together against the x-pen to sleep. Now that they've gotten bigger, I've caught them roosting on top of the waterer and one on top of the feeder. Of course, they poop all in the water and food! I cannot keep dumping all this food and water!

Any ideas on how to discourage them from roosting on the feeder and water, and encourage them to roost on the ROOST?!

Thanks so much for any ideas!

astrid

It is higher. Here's a picture. The feeder and waterer sit in front of this, up on a cement block so they don't fall. There are deep shavings on the floor; this was when we were building the coop. The hens are on the other side of the coop, separated from the babies and roost on a wide shelf that was there (our coop is a separate room in our old carriage barn.) I'd say the horizontal bracing to which the 2x4's are attached is 3 feet off the ground.

5493_imgp0761.jpg

If your feeder and waterer have flat round tops, you could get a funnel to duct-tape to the top. They can't perch on the top of the funnel. I did this for mine, when they were young and using a small plastic waterer and feeder. But I think you can get some pretty big funnels....

Does your waterer have a flat top? If so, cut the bottom out of a plastic milk jug, place the jug over the top of the waterer, they will be unable to roost on it. ;-)

I put my feeder inside a pan that makes it hard to poo in it because they have to hang on the edge with tails out and a water unit that does not allow for perching

102768_run3.jpg

102768_4x18_shop_pan.jpg

Quote:
I made dunce caps out of wire fabric and cellophane. My wife named them after the inventor... You can see pics on my page. They actually work very well and were very cheap. Any material would work. You could even use cardboard or heavy grade paper.

For such a small number of birds like yours, I simply water out of an 8-qt plastic bucket, filled to brim, placed right up against a wall. Much easier to clean and refill than my fancy plastic waterer.

Because it's against a wall, chickens don't have much room to roost on it, and when they do, their hind end hangs outside bucket. Only once have I had poo in bucket. Does need daily dumping/refill and water level must be kept high, of course.

Back
Top Bottom