Ugh... UPDATED WITH PICS OF LEG ISSUE

The issues I had were just icing on the cake. I get why people do broilers, I really do. But I want to try something different. I keep thinking about the reasons that I'm raising chickens- better, healthier, more humanely raised food for my family (both eggs and meat). And part of my health philosophy is that true pastured meat is better than grain fed. I feel like, even with broilers pastured in a tractor, I am only pretending to accomplish that. I do know that chickens aren't like cows and pigs, they do need some grain, especially in the winter, and they are meant to digest it properly (unlike cows...). But I don't think that I can truly call my broilers pastured because, um, they don't eat any pasture! The tractor is useful as it spreads the manure around and helps keep them clean, but it's really not improving their diet.

So I'm going to work on the genetics of my flock and work toward a good dual purpose (probably mutt) flock. I know this will take time and that for the first years I will be eating really. small. birds because in order to improve my flock I'll have to eat the small ones and breed the big ones. And who knows- maybe in two years I'll decide that's not worth the time and effort and come back to broilers. Or maybe I'll raise smaller batches of broilers to augment our chicken supply while I work on developing a good dual purpose bird. But I won't be doing this big of a batch again.

What about looking into something like the Freedom Rangers to start, to merge into the more sustainable "normal" birds, and then move into breeding? I believe birds like the FR are more geared to folks like yourself who are very interested in moving to the more historical type meat birds. They're a hybrid, but more affordable (I believe) than some of the excellent lines of heritage meat breeds.

There's another way to raise CX - let a broody hen do it! We did that this summer and it worked GREAT, the hens taught the chicks to forage and made them get out of the pen and wander around. It was hilarious, like watching a parent with a lazy teenager - "Get off the couch, put down the video game, and get out here in the sunshine!"

They get more exercise, which makes them more robust - less prone to leg and heart problems - and eat more forage, so the meat is better. We still got huge birds at 7 weeks, so not much effect on growth rate. And since they are on the ground from Day 2, you don't need a brooder, or a lamp, or medicated feed, or any of that. Just nests and hens.

I mention this because it sounds like you have some layers, and maybe one of more of them will go broody next spring. If so, consider giving this a try.

Just some food for thaught... I had a flock of mutt DP chickens ( selected x-bred of BR, RIR, NH, Leghorn,and some ? originals)that were originally from my parents' flock ( Dad was a Vet.) who selectively bred them for economical rate of early maturity, high meat gain, and egg laying ability. This flock has been in existance for way over 60+ years and if I may humbly say, the best in the area. I did a side by side comparison with some Cornish X about 3 years ago... result ... no comparison !!! I now raise the Cornish X. I have been breeding purebred horses for over 37 years. I had a mare that was selectively INBRED for certain traits for 5 generations that bred true to planned expectations. She was a very top specimen of that planned program. She produced 6 foals by stallions of the same linebreeding program that were a regression to one original mare and nothing like what we intended in the inbreeding program. Sold her and all of her foals. From what I gather from postings here, the folks that are incorporating the FR's and other DPs in their DP breeding trials, are not having tremendous success as they give very vague and general verbage ( great, huge, very good, taste great, forage well, etc ) and no hard facts or statistics of their exploits.

I just got a batch of red broilers and Cornish cross from Ideal. So far, I like the red broilers better. I may keep a couple of hens and cross them onto a Pure Cornish or other DP rooster next spring. I've even considered a bantam Cornish rooster because of their faster maturity rate than LF, slightly smaller vocal cords, decreased feed consumption by the breeding rooster and, just because I like bantam roosters. Who knows, may just breed to my OEGB and see what I get, for S&Gs. They have a dense little body and heavy breast for size. From what I understand, the hen and egg size tends to determine the chick and adult size more than the cock, anyway.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I know! Right about the time I got the second batch my (super tiny, so it would have been awesomely comical to see her raise some Cornish X) acted like she wanted to go broody. But she didn't stick with it:( But I have a silkie EXACTLY because they are supposed to go broody. After this year my plan (although we all know what they say about the best laid plans...) is to never hatch or brood chicks myself, but to let my hens do it. So it's good that I have one hen who already shows signs of broodiness, and all the breeds I have (save my 6 red stars) are breeds that are likely to go broody.

I have no intention of bringing Freedom ranger genetics into my flock. No offense to them or to anyone who is trying that, but I've read all the threads and info on those who have done this, and it has never gone terribly well. I feel I'll have a lot more luck sticking with true breeds. I am tempted to hatch some of my red stars' eggs next Spring even though they are hybrids because they are such great chickens, but I know they don't breed true and I have NO CLUE what I'll get.

I'll probably bring in either Cornish, Brahma, or Deleware genetics next as they are most commonly referred to as great meat birds. I also like the idea of the Cornish Bantam and would be interested in their feed conversion. I bet with our plentiful forage around here in the spring I could raise smaller birds like that could get nice and meaty with much less feed.

Ah Chickens, they keep life interesting, don't they?

Quote:
I'm guessing it would be close to a wash unless you have some really good foraging area, and at the end of the day you won't get as much meat and you spent 10-12 additional weeks getting there. Yeah your layers can get away with it, but they are only maintaining the body weight they developed on feed and only need enough additional calories/nutrition to produce 4 or 5 eggs per week. I free range my layers and can tell you after free ranging all Summer they lose some of there pre-Summer weight. Having to be in constant motion to find food burns off a lot of what they are eating. If you tractor them, there isn't going to be enough bugs (protein) in that small of an area to support good growth. I know you're discouraged by this, but I hate seeing people give up on CX after 1 or even a few bad expiriences. With more expirience raising them, you're issues will be eliminated.

If you think old feed that has lost nutrients is potentially the cause of your problems, I would suggest trying to find a feed mill that will custom make your feed. It's will be cheaper and fresher. When I pick-up my feed at my mill, it was ground and mixed that day, so I know it's always fresh. I have my doubts that is the problem. Even if you have to drive a good distance to get it, the price difference may offset the gas. Right now I am paying $11.60/50# for a very balanced 22% protein feed.

Where do you get your feed?!

I have heard, that when the chicks are very young like yours are- you can do two things to help with the leg problems...

1- put light on them 100% of the day, and feed in front of them the entire time... This will spead up the process of getting them ready to eat faster. Do this to the bad legged ones only. They're legs are shot so, you may as well get them killed quicker.

2- I have heard that when they are very small, you can rubberbands around their legs to help pull them together- I have never tried this.. They say the bands will pull the legs in help the grow straight.

I'm not sure if it will work, but sounds to me like you need to buy from somebody else next time. In all the birds we've raised, only about 1 in 75 developed leg issues.

Back
Top Bottom