Ugh.. when to assist?!

bplynk

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
Brand new here - been using this site religiously for my duck eggs I’ve been bating for weeks.

long story short .. duckling internally pipped somewhere between 1am-10am yesterday. Making 10am this morning 24hrs. We had two casualties yesterday - one died due to no air and when helping the other, we suffered blood loss 😞 Take full responsibility for the losses due to lack of knowing what I’m doing. But back to my last egg .. due to possible oxygen issue, I gave a safety hole so he could breathe, but nothing since. Still alive, responds to his name by peeping and lightly taps - when do I intervene 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Are you consistently opening and picking up egg? you need to keep consistency- mist the egg so he doesnt get glued into the shell and let mother nature takes it course. needs consistent humidity to properly hatch and move around in egg to get itself out. Dont open the bator. I know its hard but leave it alone.

Please don’t mist the egg now. Any exposed membrane can be moistened with Vaseline or Coconut oil, but probably isn’t necessary unless it is turning brown. Really brown and dry, not just tan colored.
Ducklings are slow, and can take 24-48 hours to fully hatch. So just hang in there!
can you post a pic of the egg now?

Hi!! Thank you! I moistened with coconut oil. Temp is bouncing between 99-100 and humidity is staying between 62-67. Is this ok?

Attachments

• DA914B70-BAC3-441E-85E4-C1CF7C09C922.jpeg
    DA914B70-BAC3-441E-85E4-C1CF7C09C922.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 4
it’s very lively and blinks and chirps when I talk to him through the bator and wiggles around when he’s not resting.

Looks great at the moment. Just keep that membrane moist, and let those blood vessels recede.
Eventually you will see all that blood *almost* disappear, and the duckling will start squirming more, then you will have to peel away a little more membrane to let it pop out.
Yawning motion = still absorbing yolk, so please don’t rush it. And most importantly, do not pull the duckling from the shell. Let it push away on its own, when the time comes.
Looks like you are doing great. Just hang in there now and let that yolk be absorbed!

One more thing. You can take a q-tip and run it carefully up under the membrane, so that it doesn’t stick to the feathers. Just be gentle. :)

Patience is key now. It can breathe, so proceed with caution. :thumbsup
it won’t be long now!!

Is it normal for the beak to make almost a chewing motion regularly? I know yawning means absorbing yolk sac - does the rapid beak chewing motion mean the same?

Back
Top Bottom