Ugh!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wistlindixie, Mar 14, 2011.

1. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Just candled 28 eggs in the incubator on day 4 and NONE of them look good. Most look clear and about 7 look to have blood rings. So not happy [​IMG]

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    4 days is too soon.. Give them atleast, until day 10 just to be sure.

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am sorry. I am feeling the same pain.
    I had 8 eggs under my broody chick. The only viable looking one got broken over the weekend. the other eggs are green and dark brown, so I am having trouble seeing through them. I have 10 days left. I cant stand waiting.

What is a blood ring? I have never done this before.

Marlene

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I do not candle eggs until day 10 or 12. That way I KNOW I can see something and be able to tell if it's development or not.

Then I candle again at day 18, for lockdown, to remove the obvious "not gonna hatch" eggs.

5. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    Quote:blood ring or ring of death happens when the chick dies and the blood starts leaking out of the vessels, creating a "ring" inside the egg. I actually have a video showing candling and there are 2 "ring of death" eggs. I break them open at the end, too so you can see what it looks like. Helps with learning this skill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by