ugly thing with no feathers!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazy chook, Dec 28, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I purchased some bantam pekin eggs from a woman who was not surprised when I told her none of them were fertile. She then gave me some isa brown x goldlaced wyandotte eggs to hatch. Well out of 12 I got 4 hatch, can't say I will ever buy eggs from her again! [​IMG]
    This is what hatched......
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They are 7 weeks old now and I have no idea if any are pullets or if they are rooster and one of them is just about bald. I watch them all the time and he does not get picked on by the other chickens so why is he/she bald and he/she is smaller than the others too...
    I will try to take some better photos too.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    It looks like you've got at least one roo, but I can't say anything about the featherless mutant! [​IMG]

3. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Poor little chick. I had a Cochin Frizzle look like that when it was young, but he did get all his feathers when he about three months old.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Maybe you could use that last one to try and breed a featherless chicken, no plucking nessicary. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awwww he's not ugly, he's just a little roo. He will grow up to be handsome rooster some day.

By the way, I think it's a baby roo. [​IMG]

6. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    Poor little thing! I hope you live somewhere warm! Otherwise you need to knit him a sweater.

7. I'll bet that at least one of the others is picking on him. It might be a NINJA chicken. They are really fast at pecking the lowly chickens. [​IMG]. Hopefully it can get some size and then the pecking will subside long enough for that bird to get all pretty again. And yes it is a little ugly right now.

8. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you might want to try giving it protien, so it well help grow feathers

9. Kenshan1

Kenshan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bonney Lake, WA
    We bought 4 chicks from a farm that had too many in one pen. I didn't notice any problems with them till I got them home & looked them over more. The white EE we picked out had perfect feathers but the 2 RIR & 1 GLW had missing feathers. Turned out the white EE was picking on them. We seperated the white EE from everyone which wasn't easy as it would get out & make a bee line to the same age chicks & instantly start plugging its hatchmates. I found it another home. 2wks at the new home it died, they had a couple other chickens die so they don't know if it had a bug & brought it or what. Anyway my flock was fine. My 3 youngest chicks bounced back pretty quickly.

7wks & already getting red I would guess roos. My SLW & GLW pullets didn't get red faces till around 12wks.

Shannon

10. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Thanks everyone, It is summer here so I am only worried about him getting burned when he is out in the sun. There is plenty of shade and I have added 12 other chickens about the same size as he is to the pen.

They are all in a pen that is about 9m x 3.5m with 4 different coops to choose from and lots of shade, plenty of food and water.

I will go out there soon with my camera and try to take some better shots so maybe someone can tell me if they are roosters or if there is a pullet among them.

Cheers

Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by