Uh oh! Allergy to duck eggs?

TreCurtis

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 3, 2012
Finally my KC girls finally started laying for me!! After 28 weeks of waiting and waiting! Large, cream colored beauties! With the first several eggs I gathered I made a pound cake. It was delicious! Then moments later I started coughing and it was immediately followed by discomfort in the throat! I hope and pray it's not what I think it is!
fl.gif

I tried an at home skin test (rub an egg of over my skin), and nothing happened. My mother has a duck egg allergy but hers manifests itself through her digestive tract making her violently throw up.

Anyways, I'm so bummed! I've read some interesting articles on desensitizing allergies... I guess I'll chat with the dr.

Can anyone else commiserate?

Tre

I can only offer a virtual hug, and hope it's not the eggs. Still, it's best to know what's going on. I have bad reactions to grains, myself. And sometimes I wonder if it is feed related. I knew a guy who raised his own chickens because store-bought eggs made his wife ill. They did a bit of research and discovered that some of the commercial feeds contained things his wife was allergic to. She could safely eat the eggs from chickens they raised.

Thanks!
smile.png

I don't believe it's related to the feed since I haven't got any reaction from my chickens and I feed them the same stuff. I'm going to try it again. I've only had one other allergic reaction that I can recall and it was after eating dinner at a high end restuarant. I finished with the creme brulee and immediantly started to notice a reaction. This occured about 10 years ago. I was always puzzled by what it was since I had all of the foods before. Now I'm wondering if they used duck eggs in the creme brulee. Fortunatly, it's an obscure food. A grain allergy must be devastating to your lifestlye!

I Have spent years convincing my partner to let me get ducks .....have got two beautiful runners ducks now , just found out the eggs make me violently ill, im absolutely gutted , but will be keeping them anyway ,will just have to give them to family and friends
smile.png
luckly my kids love them .

Last edited:
So do you guys think more people are allergic to duck eggs than chicken eggs? I'm hatching ducks soon and I have no idea what a duck egg tastes like. What do they taste like? I've heard they are a flavor to get used to?

From what I read, no, I don't think there are more duck-allergic people.

Duck eggs don't all taste alike. It depends on the duck, and on the food they eat.

I recall my Pekins' eggs tasted stronger than chicken eggs. My runners' eggs don't taste very different from chicken eggs, to me. The yolks are larger. And they're nice and fresh.

There's no way to know until you try.

My approach to a new food (I am always trying something new) is to eat a little bit, and wait 24 hours.

(TMI alert) I am gluten sensitive, and too much vitamin C, and St. John's wort tea upset my innards.

So I appreciate concerns about food sensitivities. See how it goes, and if you have trouble, remember it could be what the ducks are eating. Some folks will not feed their ducks soy, or corn, or anything GMO, etc. A neighbor's wife had her own chickens because what the commercial chickens were fed was making her sick. With her own chickens and a controlled diet for them, she could enjoy eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom