uh oh! Did I make a huge mistake?

gertieandspeck

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Hi everyone.
I hate that my first post is in the emergency category, but I am really worried about my girls.
After reading here that Diatomaceous Earth was good for bugs, I used some last night in my girls coop. After I cleaned off the sliding tray that is under their cage, i sprinkled a liberal amount of DE.

This morning my girls were acting differently than usual. Not really interested in food etc. Is it possible that the DE could have affected them that quickly? They wouldn't have been able to come in direct contact with the stuff.

I didn't realize that there was more than one kind of DE, and mine is not the food grade stuff
sad.png

Dang, sorry your welcome to BYC is under such negative circumstances. But
welcome-byc.gif
anyway!

Non-food grade DE is really bad for lungs, yours and the chickens. Put on a mask and clean it all out of the cage thoroughly, preferably when the birds are elsewhere.

How old are the chickens? That can make a difference, too.

I don't know if it could have affected them so quickly but put on a mask and get it out of there. Non food grade stuff is bad news for chickies (and humans for that matter). For future reference, I got a 50# bag for $43 including shipping which seems to be a pretty fair price for the food grade stuff.

I agree with the others. Remove it asap. When you get the food grade DE, make sure you're wearing a mask and goggles. DE can irritate the eyes, throat and lungs....same with removing the non food grade DE.

I'm doubtful that the DE is the culprit since it was confined to the sliding tray which your birds could not access to eat it or kick up the dust.

I think it brings you back to the question of why everyone is off their food this morning. Have you plied them with "treats" - something they usually mob you to get at? I'd try that. If my chickens turn up their beaks at cooked granola (for example) then I know they really are sick.

Back
Top Bottom