1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Uh Oh...fence post driver went in wrong...HELP:>)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by morelcabin, Jul 11, 2008.

1. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I'm driving 4x4 posts, using these metal post spikes that are 3 feet long to set the post on and tighten...problem is I put one in the wrong spot (don't laugh...yes I'm a woman...I admit it...) and now I can't get it out! Anyone have any bright ideas?
    Yup. now I am going to make sure I have a plumb line to follow:>)

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Ummm... water it and wiggle it? pry bar?? we used a post pounder (hydraulic) to do our horse fence. We pounded three or so feet into the ground. on one post, we hit rock about 2 feet down, so we had to wiggle it to get it out. Mind you, we had 8 feet to wiggle. Good luck!

3. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I've trhitting the side of it with the sledge to loosen it...it isn't budging...where is that hubby of mine when I need him? tehee! (gone boating...)

4. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    can you attach the 4x4 then wiggle it?????----more leverage.

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    If you have a small log chain, hook one end around the spike thing. Then if you have a small piece of Round wood like maybe a 10 inch diameter chunk of firewood put that over the hole. THen bring the chain up and over the wood and attach to the trailer hitch of a car or truck and just drive ahead slowely.... Should come!

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A sledge won't loosen it in its hole - you have to grab it with both hands and boogie back and forth, leaning on it hard in all directions, to gradually loosen it. Water well with hose a few hrs before doing this, if your soil is dry.

Antlers' method is the best one provided you 'get' it - however I am not sure whether it may be one of those things you have to see done, first?

Alternatively (and I'd do the wiggling thing as much as possible, first), get a piece of very strong rope and make a loop perhaps 12" across with it (exact size doesn't matter). Stick a heavy nail or other suitable bit of metal thru one of the holes in the t-post, as low down to the ground as you can, and put the loop around the t-post so it catches on the nail or whatnot. Now get a long strong lever (10' 4x4, or 2x6 on edge, or suchlike) and a fulcrum of suitable height (e.g. one or more cinderblocks. Put the lever end thru the remainder of the loop, prop it up on the fulcrum, and stand/bounce on the end of the lever til the post comes up.

Good luck,

Pat

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

We used a shovel!

8. morelcabin

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Miss the North...you are a genius! I left the pole in, wiggled it, then used the crowbar to get in under it, propped it with a brick and jumped up and down and it came out! Thanks for the idea!!!

9. miss_thenorth

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Glad you got it!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by