uh oh. Forgot to 'rest' shipped eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cricket-cricket, May 25, 2010.

1. cricket-cricket

cricket-cricket Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2007
    I poked them under a broody about 8 - 12 hours after arrival. Learned later I should have let them rest point side down for 24 hrs or so. What's the chance they'll still hatch?

Tx

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    OH they will hatch. It didnt really matter because it is settled about four hours to 8 hours .

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:8-12 hours is perfect. So You did fine! [​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    They shoudl be OK - I pick mine up at the PO at work, let them sit at my desk all day then put them in the bator at night
    So far, all is good
    Sometimes I think 24 hours is way too long

5. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I didn't know I was supposed to do that on my first hatch. My eggs sat on their sides for 2 hours before going into the incubator. 8 out of 16 ended up going into lockdown. Yours will be fine.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    So long as they are at least room temperature I go ahead and throw them in my bator and just unplug the turner for the day. I never saw a point to resting eggs which were already at least room temp and it could be harmful to cool back down eggs that had gotten warmer. I do make sure they are upright though. Loose air sacs can become a problem if you don't keep shipped eggs upright until they settle out.

7. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I did something similar-- I put cold fertile eggs under my broody without waiting for them to come to room temp. (didn't know any better at the time) I was sure I screwed everything up, but I candled at day 12 and saw 5/5 moving babies, so apparently eggs are pretty resilient to our mistakes!

8. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    yea I agree they will be fine, and also if you order then how do you really know how old they are? wouldnt you think 24hrs could just be a bit too long and could possibly make it too late? I think people lie alot. Im a trusting person so I belive everyone. But I get lied to alot.
    Good Luck with your hatch. I have one in right now too and they only rested from the time they got dropped off at my door until they went in the bator. so 12p-5p or so.

9. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    I didn't know you were suppose to let eggs rest. Man, I learn something new every day. Is that why I only got 9/15 & 7/12 out of my hatches??? Oh poo, Live and learn. [​IMG]

10. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    your hatch rate is good for shipped eggs: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by