Uh oh... found an egg today! ... - A journal of sorts, from finding eggs to hatching them... Update

I got two more pullet eggs today and one more Guinea egg. BUT I spotted at least one guinea egg in a the little nest area I made up for them. Annnd I saw only from a distance lots of fluffy feathers in there too. this is a protected spot in the coop and I can reinforce it from the outside.

deb

My waiting lists for keets (and hatching eggs) is getting longer and longer... I shouldn't have skipped a hatch, now it's biting me in the rear for keet sales lol. I've been out of keets to sell since Sunday. My next hatch is going on now, 9 keets have hatched so far (early - day 24), but the rest need to hurry up!
he.gif
Ahh. sounds like you better start stacking and stop eating all those eggs.
lau.gif

LOL, I'm not really a huge egg fan, so not that many get eaten here, probably way less than a typical household that raises poultry eats on average. I've made tuna/egg salad a couple times, scrambled a few here and there, and also painstakingly (UGH!!!) pealed a bunch of hard boiled eggs for couple large batches of deviled eggs, but I just gave my Mom and brother 24 dozen Guinea eggs (less than 2 wks worth of collected eggs) and 6 big, pretty, speckled Turkey eggs to take home yesterday!!!
ep.gif
24X12 = 288 keets that I didn't hatch, it almost seems like a crime, lol! I just have no more incubator room (I have 3 running now, with full loads in them). I won't let myself buy another 1588 with electronic/digital display/control, or a cabinet style incubator, (even tho I want both, lol) and I won't let myself double stuff all my incubators and hand turn a million eggs this season either, No No No No No Peeps, NO !!!
barnie.gif

Shame on you Zoo
rant.gif
, what an evil little enabler you are, lol

OMG, talk about an ENABLER.....as if you have not been my original and best enabler.....I just saw your pic of your incubator with eggs stacked on eggs, plus lined up on the sides....I yelled for Mark to come see.....we LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED!!!!!!!!! He said, "Girl, how many of those turners have you burned out?"

LOL, I'm not really a huge egg fan, so not that many get eaten here, probably way less than a typical household that raises poultry eats on average. I've made tuna/egg salad a couple times, scrambled a few here and there, and also painstakingly (UGH!!!) pealed a bunch of hard boiled eggs for couple large batches of deviled eggs, but I just gave my Mom and brother 24 dozen Guinea eggs (less than 2 wks worth of collected eggs) and 6 big, pretty, speckled Turkey eggs to take home yesterday!!!
ep.gif
24X12 = 288 keets that I didn't hatch, it almost seems like a crime, lol! I just have no more incubator room (I have 3 running now, with full loads in them). I won't let myself buy another 1588 with electronic/digital display/control, or a cabinet style incubator, (even tho I want both, lol) and I won't let myself double stuff all my incubators and hand turn a million eggs this season either, No No No No No Peeps, NO !!!
barnie.gif

Shame on you Zoo
rant.gif
, what an evil little enabler you are, lol

So, not willing to try my method and just not turn the top eh? btw, that was the sound of enabling speaking, in case I wasn't clear. :D It's always hard to eat guinea eggs I know would've become chicks, but I confess, we'll be eating a bucket full this week ourselves. Even double stacking, I'm currently out of room in our three incubating and one hatching bator. And that's with a dozen shipped eggs coming next week! ::gulp::

PS I have got to figure out this wait list thing! I keep ending up with a random 'extra' keet here or there, and though it can go in with others it always cries for it's buddies--sometimes through the night!

So, not willing to try my method and just not turn the top eh? btw, that was the sound of enabling speaking, in case I wasn't clear. :D It's always hard to eat guinea eggs I know would've become chicks, but I confess, we'll be eating a bucket full this week ourselves. Even double stacking, I'm currently out of room in our three incubating and one hatching bator. And that's with a dozen shipped eggs coming next week! ::gulp::

PS I have got to figure out this wait list thing! I keep ending up with a random 'extra' keet here or there, and though it can go in with others it always cries for it's buddies--sometimes through the night!
Hey I'm all in for trying that---- When I'm thru hatching all the shipped eggs that at the current rate of hatch are costing me an arm and a leg. I have several experiments I want to try over the "Off season" to see what works best for me. (Short of buying a Dickies, which if I had the money would be my first choice) I will be washing eggs in different stuff, "settling" eggs with air cell problems, now add turning for various #'s of days and stacking. I think stacking the chicken eggs will be harder due to size. the chicken eggs will ride higher and may not fit, DH has already talked about adding an extension ring to make the Styrofoams higher.

OMG, talk about an ENABLER.....as if you have not been my original and best enabler.....I just saw your pic of your incubator with eggs stacked on eggs, plus lined up on the sides....I yelled for Mark to come see.....we LAUGHED AND LAUGHED AND LAUGHED!!!!!!!!! He said, "Girl, how many of those turners have you burned out?"

LOL, hush, I haven't burned any out, they supposedly have metal gears inside em (I already researched before I over loaded them, lol)
big_smile.png

Ugggghhhhhhh I just really really really do not want to hand turn ANY eggs this season, even just for a little bit, lol. It's too much of a commitment, lol. And yes, you are an evil enabler too!!! I swear I hear you snickering when I read some of your posts, lol
smack.gif

I got lucky and had a guy come buy all my left overs/extras, of all ages, so I lucked out. And yah, the ones that get left behind cry for a while, but the brooders are all at the other end of the house, and I sleep with my TV on so I don't have to listen to it lol.

That's right your Chocolate eggs are coming soon!!!! Don't you have any broody Silkies to use? I hatched out 3 keets that appear to be Chocolates in this most recent big hatch, they are still wet and in the hatcher tho, hard to tell exactly what they are still. I'm hoping for a few more Chocolates and some more Blondes, but not holding my breath. That new flock is back up to laying 12 eggs a day for me, but I won't know if their fertility rate has improved or not until I set another batch of their eggs next week, and then wait another 5 days to candle...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom