Uh oh... found an egg today! ... - A journal of sorts, from finding eggs to hatching them... Update

Woohoo!! We put 11 guinea eggs under our broody last night so hopefully we will have some keets on July 4th!!
wee.gif
wee.gif

I am going to save a few more guinea eggs and put them under our little Cornish who is also broody and see if she will hatch them. Think I will put a wire around her nest so the other hens don't horn in on her nest and bother her.

Woohoo!! We put 11 guinea eggs under our broody last night so hopefully we will have some keets on July 4th!!
wee.gif
wee.gif

I am going to save a few more guinea eggs and put them under our little Cornish who is also broody and see if she will hatch them. Think I will put a wire around her nest so the other hens don't horn in on her nest and bother her.

Woohoo! We'll be having Keets hatching around the same time! My eggs should be hatching somewhere around June 30. :eek:)

Wonderful! Keep me posted on what you do and when to candle! This is my first hatch! I will be setting 4 eggs under my Cornish banty in a couple of days too so may have a couple of batches of keets!

Mine will go into the incubator tomorrow morning all 7 of them so they should be ready July 5th! I'm warming everything to temp and humidity and should be ready by morning
fl.gif
This will be my second attempt at hatching. The first group didn't hatch so I really counting on this one.

Congrats girls and we are off to hatch guineas!!!!
wee.gif

Steven and Daylily, I am really excited about the hatchings! Sure hope it all works out. Our hen, Aussie, went back to the wrong nest yesterday so we blocked her exit today and will open in up tonight in hopes that she has no more problems finding her new nest. The little "Cornie" gets booted off her nest by the larger hens but always comes back-- she is determined but tonight she gets a large box nest and a wire fencing around it.

Wonderful! Keep me posted on what you do and when to candle! This is my first hatch! I will be setting 4 eggs under my Cornish banty in a couple of days too so may have a couple of batches of keets!

I try to candle on Day 7 and at Day 25-26ish. I try my best to not touch or mess with the eggs so I can get a better hatch rate.

I have a broody Black Ameraucana hen that has a call duck under her, she did have 3 but she broke 2 of them somehow. That's the ONLY broody we have! Around this time of year we would have maybe 10 broodys.. About all of them bantams! LOL

Set about 120 Guinea eggs Friday morning. They are Chocolate, Royal Purple, White, and who knows what all. I have a couple dozen more coming on Monday. I recently got two pairs of Slate Guineas, and they started laying so I've got 2-3 eggs from them saved up that I will set when I get my 2nd package in on Monday.

Also set 8 Muscovy eggs, and 4 Cockatiel eggs yesterday! Off subject, has anyone ever raised or had Cockatiels on here? This will be my 1st time with this kind of feathered obsession.

~ Aspen

Set about 120 Guinea eggs Friday morning. They are Chocolate, Royal Purple, White, and who knows what all. I have a couple dozen more coming on Monday. I recently got two pairs of Slate Guineas, and they started laying so I've got 2-3 eggs from them saved up that I will set when I get my 2nd package in on Monday.

Also set 8 Muscovy eggs, and 4 Cockatiel eggs yesterday! Off subject, has anyone ever raised or had Cockatiels on here? This will be my 1st time with this kind of feathered obsession.

~ Aspen
120 Guinea eggs? That is surreal! Are you going to keep them all? Thats awesome!
th.gif
I have trouble with just my three! I have 7 eggs that i've set last week I cannot imagine more. But then again I am so new to this.
I do not know about Cockatiels but a good friend of mine does so I will ask. Also a good search on the internet should give you some Ideas on what to expect. Good luck on ALL your hatches. You are a braver soul than I!
frow.gif

I know something about Cockatiels - I've owned two, and I've also owned parrots (African Gray and Cockatoo). Are you planning on hand-feeding them? If so, they'll be quite tame. If not, I'd recommend you start hand-taming/socializing them right off the bat. Put a towel on your lap or shoulder and let them hang out with you while you watch TV. Wear bird-poop clothing. Have you ever hand-fed a bird? If not, get some advice from someone very experienced.

'Tiels aren't very bright, and they don't talk, but they're sweet if they're used to humans, and they'll bite like the dickens if they aren't. Like all parrots, if you aren't going to provide the socialization for them, they'll need a buddy or two.

They eat the same seed mixes and commercial pellets budgies eat, and love fresh greens, chopped fruit, cooked rice (no salt, butter, etc.) and cooked sweet potatoes, squash...chop everything small so they can manage it. Again, no seasonings.

I used to make a squash, broccoli and sweet potato corn bread for my parrots. Just make the cornbread like you would for yourself and add the chopped veggies to the batter and bake it up. Cut it into squares and freeze in daily servings. Thaw or microwave before serving. My birds would go berserk for parrot bread. Oh, and you can add the washed egg shells for calcium.

~ Aspen

I used to raise Parakeets and Finches. I set up an aviary for mom and she raised cockatiels. When they don't have a mom they have to be hand fed every hour or so a special baby food from a syringe. http://www.cockatiel.org/articles/handfeeding.html You need to get baby formula from a pet shop. If you cant then you can make your own but its something you have to take great care in making and you use it only till you can get formula from a pet shop.

This gal does not believe in hand raising babies but she has an emergency recipe for baby food.
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/formula.html
Another site that discusses feeding cockatiel babies.
http://www.cockatiel.com/handfeeding.html

I think the best advice any of them gave was the necessity to keep the food sterile. Mixing batches for feeding using distilled or boiled water and sterilized feeding utensils. Then throwing out the food that is left over because it cant be kept sterile for the next feeding.

good luck

deb

Back
Top Bottom