uh oh, hen isn't a hen? crowed today. roo advice?

I know you are right though I don't like the craigslist option unless necessary because I just don't know if he will be handled compassionately at the end. we can't butcher him....no skills, desire, or stomach for it.
It's hard because bfore last week he seemed like a good hen and all was well in the flock of 4. it happened so fast that she became he and the whole thing broke down. I think we harbor bad feelings toward the other 2 because they are part of the "pack" that hurt Lorna. But as you say, they are primitive in their way and only doing what nature has programmed them todo. it is just raw right now. I contacted the BYc person who gave them to us to keep her in the loop but I guess we will catch our breath before we have anyone killed/eaten.
thanks. ugh.

Do you have any pictures of him on here?If you are sure it is a rooster I would put fliers up at the feed store or put him in the selling section here. I put some up at my feed store and got rid of two roosters that way. If you don't want the other hens you should sell them and the rooster so you can get more for them. I have had two hens that absolutely hate each other and fought like roosters. I still have them but they are not allowed to be together any more.

he will only get more aggressive. that is pretty young for that type of behavior. you have to get rid of him, too few hens to suit him and they can't get away from him.

someone suggested to me that maybe it was the other hens, not the rooster, who attacked Lorna, out of jealousy, she said. That doesn't make sense to me since they had never shown aggression before. I get that they may have joined in after the roo started it. any thoughts?
Happily, the tech at our vet's office has offered to take him as she recently lost her roo. I told her , and she saw, what happened, but she has saved a number if orphans and thinks she can incorporate him with her larger flock.
Lorna is much improved today. If we keep the other 2 hens, for now, maybe some day we could reintroduce Lorna? If that doesn't work, we will rehome those 2, ideally together, and go from there.

Hi neighbor! Sorry to hear one of your new chickies turned out to be a boy.. any interest in bantam hens to hang out with your Lorna? I have four MF D'uccle bantams that are not yet laying age that I am positive are girls and since they are so much smaller I think your Lorna could rule.
tongue.png
I'd prefer they go together, tho, but hey, they are tiny!! I also have olive egger chicks, too young to sex. Let me know if you are interested..

I have been able to rehome my roos to decent people on craigslist so far, but I am sure my luck will run out one day.
sad.png

why do you say it wasn't the rooster? These hens always got along fine before Guppy turned out to be a rooster. Could they have been vying for his attention? They are both more submissive sorts. I don't get it.
The roo has gone to his new home-featherz, I think she would take more birds if/when you need that. She is a bird rehabber with a huge flock of chickens, ducks, geese, and as of yesterday, a barred owl. Let me know if you need her name.

We tried an expriment today with the 3 remaining hens. Lorna is living in our garage while she recovers. I brought the other 2 in for a visit, one at a time. They were all a bit nervous at first. Lorna went for both of the others, several times...nothing too serious though we stayed right there. Each time they ran from her. By and large, they were all fine in the small pen together. We kept them together for 45 minutes or so. We thought we might try this for a bit every day with the hope of putting them back together at some point. what do you think?

Quote:
I think that sounds great! I've integrated a few flocks so far and I pretty much just wing it - I do have one group that's not letting the others eat so I have a coop with two sets of water and food. No bloodshed, just 'get out of MY water' type of pecking.

And yes, PM me with the name or email if you can. Will have several olive egger roosters to rehome soon and maybe a BLRW.
smile.png
If you ever decide to order pullet chicks let me know - might be willing to chip in on an order.

Back
Top Bottom