UH OH! I started the vacuum and someone CROWED!! Recent pics attached here

Miss Vickie (grey) and Luvvie (black) are the two that could *possibly* be male. FWIW, I know nothing about silkies, so I make no judgements on those. Hard to say, need to see the whole body to see feathering at Back and tail area. Miss Vickie has wattle development, which is not too common at 6 weeks for a female, but she could still be female. Sometimes chickens make a weird sound bc they are scared of startled. It sometimes happens that a male is very young and tries to crow, although not that common, usually they start that closer to 14 weeks. We had Leghorn males that were on the early side for crowing (11weeks?).

Overall, I wouldn’t say any are male with any kind of confidence. You should post fresh pics at 8 weeks, from the side, while they are standing.

I need an all girls gang, would someone please help with gender ID? My turn! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ut-chickens-i-was-wrong.1377100/post-22650864
I have a Silkie that started crowing at 7 1/2 weeks old. Looking at your pics... your Silkie Cross is probably your cockerel.

ETA: I will add that a little more time to make sure it was a crow and not just a startled type reaction would be a good thing. SO if the "crow" happens again, I'd watch that chick and see if it is indeed coming from it.

Last edited:
Miss Vickie (grey) and Luvvie (black) are the two that could *possibly* be male. FWIW, I know nothing about silkies, so I make no judgements on those. Hard to say, need to see the whole body to see feathering at Back and tail area. Miss Vickie has wattle development, which is not too common at 6 weeks for a female, but she could still be female. Sometimes chickens make a weird sound bc they are scared of startled. It sometimes happens that a male is very young and tries to crow, although not that common, usually they start that closer to 14 weeks. We had Leghorn males that were on the early side for crowing (11weeks?).

Overall, I wouldn’t say any are male with any kind of confidence. You should post fresh pics at 8 weeks, from the side, while they are standing.
Thank you, you see Miss Vickie, the blue one, i believe was given to me older than the others. She was flying and feathering in apr10 when I brought the little flock home.

Attachments

• 20200410_142813.jpg
    20200410_142813.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200412_130532.jpg
    20200412_130532.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom