UK ARKUS Coops Review: Avoid These Coops

VeggieChook

Hatching
Dec 20, 2019
I am writing this review for any UK members who are looking at the ARKUS recycled plastic coops.

I have had my Arkus Medium Coop for roughly 8 months after being refused return of the item following delivering due to a number of design flaws that will be outlined as follows. Do not be fooled by the website - any reviews are submitted for approval and so the gleaming all 5-star reviews on the website are a complete facade.

On the positive - dispatch and delivery was quick.

The Perches:

As a person used to wooden coops I wanted to try a plastic coop for a longer-lasting, easily cleaned coop. I was drawn to the recycled claims made by Arkus.

The perches in other coops I own are 30-45 cm above the floor of the coop allowing the birds to perch. The 'perches' on the Arkus are barely above the ground once ground litter is placed in the coop and so birds are never going to use this for perching as it does not mimic an above ground, safe sleeping place.

Finally, the width of the 'perch' is far too wide for chickens and when raising this with Arkus I was informed that the coops were tried and tested with many happy customers... well, only one of my birds has ever used the coop and never did she use the 'perch'.

20200105_095657.jpg

20200105_095647.jpg

The Nest Boxes

The main issue with the nest boxes is two-fold. Firstly the divider between the 2 nest boxes is tiny. This should, and in best practice with any coop I have had, go to the ceiling or near enough.

The second issue is the lip between the nest box and the rest of the coop. The lip is maybe 5cm in depth which gives no opportunity for a natural 'nest' that a chicken would lay eggs in and in fact the nest boxes are not used and when hens do use this coop (rather than their the other coop in the run they use for sleeping, a wooden coop with proper perches) they lay eggs in the main body of the coop.

20200105_095600.jpg

Finally, the construction of the coop feels quite flimsy. The plastic construction material is about 10mm thick and the entrance ramp is not built to support the weight of larger breeds of birds. This, in my opinion, is not a chicken coop and has serious flaws, primarily the nest boxes and perches which given the close proximity to floor litter will increase the chances of pests, mites and diseases.

Last edited:
  • I've had my medium ARKUS coop for 5 1/2 years and I have never had any complaints about it. I would recommend them without hesitation.
  • Its very sturdy & easy to clean. I got it primarily because I wanted to avoid the issues of red mite I'd read about with wooden coops and it was cheaper than other plastic alternatives.
  • I liked the fact that Arkus were made from re-cycled plastic.
  • It has certainly lived up to my expectations. Easy to clean, quick to dry as told on the website.
  • My hens were never interested in the perch. But they have laid eggs very happily in the nesting box.

I briefly looked at those before building my own and they seemed like every other cheap coop at the time (though not cheap!).

I get these are made from recycled plastic, but £432 for the largest coop (interior floor space of 11.5 sq ft + egg boxes) and their claims of suitable for 12-15 birds made me look elsewhere.

I am writing this review for any UK members who are looking at the ARKUS recycled plastic coops.

I have had my Arkus Medium Coop for roughly 8 months after being refused return of the item following delivering due to a number of design flaws that will be outlined as follows. Do not be fooled by the website - any reviews are submitted for approval and so the gleaming all 5-star reviews on the website are a complete facade.

On the positive - dispatch and delivery was quick.

The Perches:

As a person used to wooden coops I wanted to try a plastic coop for a longer-lasting, easily cleaned coop. I was drawn to the recycled claims made by Arkus.

The perches in other coops I own are 30-45 cm above the floor of the coop allowing the birds to perch. The 'perches' on the Arkus are barely above the ground once ground litter is placed in the coop and so birds are never going to use this for perching as it does not mimic an above ground, safe sleeping place.

Finally, the width of the 'perch' is far too wide for chickens and when raising this with Arkus I was informed that the coops were tried and tested with many happy customers... well, only one of my birds has ever used the coop and never did she use the 'perch'.

View attachment 2334465
View attachment 2334474

The Nest Boxes

The main issue with the nest boxes is two-fold. Firstly the divider between the 2 nest boxes is tiny. This should, and in best practice with any coop I have had, go to the ceiling or near enough.

The second issue is the lip between the nest box and the rest of the coop. The lip is maybe 5cm in depth which gives no opportunity for a natural 'nest' that a chicken would lay eggs in and in fact the nest boxes are not used and when hens do use this coop (rather than their the other coop in the run they use for sleeping, a wooden coop with proper perches) they lay eggs in the main body of the coop.

View attachment 2334477

Finally, the construction of the coop feels quite flimsy. The plastic construction material is about 10mm thick and the entrance ramp is not built to support the weight of larger breeds of birds. This, in my opinion, is not a chicken coop and has serious flaws, primarily the nest boxes and perches which given the close proximity to floor litter will increase the chances of pests, mites and diseases.
Well I have had a large Arkus for 4 years now and it is absolutely WONDERFUL!!! My chooks love it, they all perch with no problem, they lay their eggs in the right places and they seem very happy with it. Its also extremely well built and solid. But the best thing is it is a piece of cake to clean. My chickens were all struggling with mites and pests in their old wooden house (nightmare) but we have eradicated all this and my flock have NEVER looked healthier so we are completely satisfied and delighted with our Arkus, as is our next door neighbour who recommended it to me and has one too. 😀

We bought one of the large coops a couple of years ago and have now got 2. The floor space meets the regulations for up to 12 free range chickens (each). The perch length (we have 2 per coop) exceeds the regulations. They are easy to clean and keep mite free. We currently have 16 chickens, and they nest and lay in the nest boxes, 9 times out of 10 at least. We get an occasional one in the main area, as we do in the run! (which is 30 square metres). They also use the perches fine. No problem with ramp strength. Doors auto open nicely. Dividers between nest boxes in the large coop are suitable height. Pricewise they may seem a lot, but for the size they are competitive with wooden ones. We had a very nice wooden one, which we replaced with the second one of these, though it was less than 3 years old, in order to solve the problem of mites. These will last forever and can be jetwashed and steralised if needed. Highly recommend the large coops (as only one we have experience of). Good value for money, especially considering size, ease of use and longevity.

• I've had my medium ARKUS coop for 5 1/2 years and I have never had any complaints about it. I would recommend them without hesitation.
  • Its very sturdy & easy to clean. I got it primarily because I wanted to avoid the issues of red mite I'd read about with wooden coops and it was cheaper than other plastic alternatives.
  • I liked the fact that Arkus were made from re-cycled plastic.
  • It has certainly lived up to my expectations. Easy to clean, quick to dry as told on the website.
  • My hens were never interested in the perch. But they have laid eggs very happily in the nesting box.
Me too. I love my Arkus and so do my hens. Happy to roost on purches too

Back
Top Bottom