UK Bird Flu

Melissalovesducks

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2019
Hey! Just wanted some advice from fellow bird keepers. In the Uk from Monday it’s a legal requirement to keep birds indoors eg geese ducks chickens. I have 3 ducks and I’m wondering what other precautions local bird keepers are taking?

Hey! Just wanted some advice from fellow bird keepers. In the Uk from Monday it’s a legal requirement to keep birds indoors eg geese ducks chickens. I have 3 ducks and I’m wondering what other precautions local bird keepers are taking?
Got to figure some covered outside runs ASAP!
think it applys to any size flock

There is a thread here about it.

It won't be forever, but it's likely to be a couple of months and it applies to everyone, even those with 1 chicken.

If you saw the story on the BBC then it's not well written as it makes it sound as though you have to keep them in the garage or house, however what you actually need to do is keep your birds segregated from wild birds, ie - an enclosed run with solid roof so that wild birds can't mingle or poop in to your run. Prevent wild birds from accessing feeders and waterers.

I have an enclosed run with solid roof already, so all I have had to do is disconnect my water barrel from the guttering so that any poop on the roof doesn't filter down to their waterer.

I don't know much about ducks, I guess if you can enlose them in and provide a childs paddling pool it might be enough? Tarpaulins are cheap and suitable for a temporary roof, I bought this when I was building my coop to store materials outside.

One thing to note is that I think this is the third time poultry, etc have been put into lockdown in the last 10 years in the UK with similar measures so it might be worth considering a permanent covered area in any future builds to your run / coop (this isn't why I did it, I just liked the design!).

Last edited:
There is a thread here about it.

It won't be forever, but it's likely to be a couple of months and it applies to everyone, even those with 1 chicken.

If you saw the story on the BBC then it's not well written as it makes it sound as though you have to keep them in the garage or house, however what you actually need to do is keep your birds segregated from wild birds, ie - an enclosed run with solid roof so that wild birds can't mingle or poop in to your run. Prevent wild birds from accessing feeders and waterers.

I have an enclosed run with solid roof already, so all I have had to do is disconnect my water barrel from the guttering so that any poop on the roof doesn't filter down to their waterer.

I don't know much about ducks, I guess if you can enlose them in and provide a childs paddling pool it might be enough? Tarpaulins are cheap and suitable for a temporary roof, I bought this when I was building my coop to store materials outside.

One thing to note is that I think this is the third time poultry, etc have been put into lockdown in the last 10 years in the UK with similar measures so it might be worth considering a permanent covered area in any future builds to your run / coop (this isn't why I did it, I just liked the design!).

thank you so much for this! Super helpful!

Hi! I've just joined here specifically to chat about this. I have a barn ready for them but it's going to be so heartbreaking to put them inside, they're so used to being free... Anyone else really really sad about this??

How quickly will they adapt I wonder?
They're not very human-friendly and most of them roost in a tree bc they don't like the cockerel, so I'm not even sure I'll be physically able to get them in! I was going to shut him in somewhere else but now I'm thinking he'll get really cross about that and he's pretty scary as he is..
I guess this is making me have to confront the issues I have with him...
Comfort please!!!

Hi! I've just joined here specifically to chat about this. I have a barn ready for them but it's going to be so heartbreaking to put them inside, they're so used to being free... Anyone else really really sad about this??

How quickly will they adapt I wonder?
They're not very human-friendly and most of them roost in a tree bc they don't like the cockerel, so I'm not even sure I'll be physically able to get them in! I was going to shut him in somewhere else but now I'm thinking he'll get really cross about that and he's pretty scary as he is..
I guess this is making me have to confront the issues I have with him...
Comfort please!!!
If you have a barn, chickens love straw, give them some, it will keep them entertained for a long time. Scatter some chicken scratch in it for variety. I would hate keeping mine locked in too, but it's great you have a barn to put them in, I imagine many people only have small coops.
And the rooster...I would keep him separate. At least he's alive, he should be grateful, most people don't tolerate mean roosters for long.

Back
Top Bottom