UK Member Please Say HI

Many congrats all on your hatches. Unfortunately mine have all been a flop. My young cockerel obviously just doesn't have the fertility yet...poor lad, not for want of trying! His father was killed only a few months ago so i was being too optimistic. Hopefully on Friday, I'm off to pick up some day old Silkies and Thuringians (if my lady has any by then) that I hope to pop under my 3 broodies. She's even offered to have any males back so if my plan works out, it'll be win win.

My Swedish drake has injured his leg...again...so I'm busy nursing him and he's busy biting me. Good luck going forward with all the chicks and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that i can pull off my plan and for now i have a whiffy coop to sort out......the eggs are starting to smell but the broodies won't give in....a bit of harshness may have to ensue.

Anybody know if they'll stay broody if I remove the eggs or shall i just leave them till I get the littlies? :/

Last edited:
What a ashame your boy is doing all the work but for no result :( At least he's getting the practice in ;)

Good luck with the plans for adding the chicks, it sure does sound a win win!!

Could you maybe swop the eggs for some new ones just for now? Would get rid of the smell of the rotten ones and they will just have new ones.

:fl for your drake.

What a ashame your boy is doing all the work but for no result :( At least he's getting the practice in ;)

Good luck with the plans for adding the chicks, it sure does sound a win win!!

Could you maybe swop the eggs for some new ones just for now? Would get rid of the smell of the rotten ones and they will just have new ones.

:fl for your drake.

Thanks @Yorkshirecoop i have today binned the manky eggs, maybe i should have candled to double check but the smell was horrific! For now, I've popped a few duck eggs under them early today as they were still warm this morning after i let the broodies out for a comfort break. They all did super last year with the brooding of the fertilised eggs off my lovely RIR boy but my young lad just hasn't matured enough yet. I make the phone call tomorrow night to see if the day olds have hatched out.....fingers crossed they have and i can collect on Friday. My Drake is still very lame, he's quite good at resting as long as he's seen to for food and water so hopefully he'll heal (again....3rd time now).

One more question....is a week old too old to pop in with broodies anyone know? Sasha xx

Collected 24 Pekin and 6 silver lace Wyandottes today :cd

I broke a Pekin egg so down to 29 already :oops: All are in the incubator and cooking away :D

@Rudies Roost

Did you collect the chicks today? I'm not sure on a week old but night time is best time to pop them under a hen.
@rebrascora has more experience with broody hens :D
Speaking of Barbara, hope your ok? :fl

Last edited:
Collected 24 Pekin and 6 silver lace Wyandottes today :cd

I broke a Pekin egg so down to 29 already :oops: All are in the incubator and cooking away :D

@Rudies Roost

Did you collect the chicks today? I'm not sure on a week old but night time is best time to pop them under a hen.
@rebrascora has more experience with broody hens :D
Speaking of Barbara, hope your ok? :fl

Yay! Collected 3 Silkie and 3 Thuringian chicks yesterday. All very small and very chirpy. I popped the Silkies in with my Partridge Wyandotte and the Thuringian's in with my Indian Game bird. They both took to them straightaway and this morning I'm chuffed to say they are all alive! They were sold as "week olds" but they look pretty small to me so it's debatable but all is well so far. I purchased a brooder too so I'm covered if things go wrong. I'll post some more pictures when I get some. Best of luck with the Pekin and Wyandotte eggs. I'd love a Silver Laced, i did see one for sale at a recent show but she just didn't look healthy enough so I regrettably left her behind :( Managed to limit myself with the chick purchases. The lady had hundreds of birds of various breeds, a wonderful set up and I truly could have gone mad!

Here's the new arrivals before I put them with Mum's:

Last edited:
Yay! Collected 3 Silkie and 3 Thuringian chicks yesterday. All very small and very chirpy. I popped the Silkies in with my Partridge Wyandotte and the Thuringian's in with my Indian Game bird. They both took to them straightaway and this morning I'm chuffed to say they are all alive! They were sold as "week olds" but they look pretty small to me so it's debatable but all is well so far. I purchased a brooder too so I'm covered if things go wrong. I'll post some more pictures when I get some. Best of luck with the Pekin and Wyandotte eggs. I'd love a Silver Laced, i did see one for sale at a recent show but she just didn't look healthy enough so I regrettably left her behind :( Managed to limit myself with the chick purchases. The lady had hundreds of birds of various breeds, a wonderful set up and I truly could have gone mad!

Here's the new arrivals before I put them with Mum's:

How cute :love

Pleased to hear that the first night has gone ok :clap Amazing isn't it how the hens just take to them!! Hope today goes ok with them all.

Thanks on the eggs, really hoping for a better hatch this time :fl
The lady I got these from says the silver Wyandottes are her best seller so I should be able to move them on pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom