UK Member Please Say HI

Not sure if this is an odd question.. but can roosters tell the sex of other chickens ? I noticed joffrey drop a wing and maybe tried to rear my white silkie (popcorn) im not sure if it would hint that maybe popcorn is a girl. I guess its a matter of waiting to see.

Chicknovice, any further eggs ? have you tried breaking them open or are you going leave them to see if the chicken sits on them ? Im not sure what happens with the first egg/eggs, whether they should get thown out and classed as experimental ?

Haha, I've no idea really but when I had my 3 boys, they would only seem to go after the girls...I never saw them trying it on with each other ;) will be interesting to see how it goes with popcorn :pop

Yeh - we're doing well for eggs thanks :) 2 of the marans are laying every other day...still nothing from the pekins though. I've been eating the eggs! They're very tasty :) and weirdly, the yolks seem enormous for the egg size - not sure if that's a normal thing or not with new/bantam eggs. Won't be leaving them for anyone to sit on as I know they're not fertile and I don't need any more chicks at the moment. I'm not sure but I don't reckon you'd particularly want to hatch the first eggs cos they tend to be on the small side - might be best to wait a wee while?

Not sure if this is an odd question.. but can roosters tell the sex of other chickens ? I noticed joffrey drop a wing and maybe tried to rear my white silkie (popcorn) im not sure if it would hint that maybe popcorn is a girl. I guess its a matter of waiting to see.

Chicknovice, any further eggs ? have you tried breaking them open or are you going leave them to see if the chicken sits on them ? Im not sure what happens with the first egg/eggs, whether they should get thown out and classed as experimental ?

Sounds like Joffrey is doing all the right things to attract the ladies! Can’t say I’ve ever seen any of my cockerels doing it too each other when I kept a few together. Fingers crossed it’s a good sign that Popcorn is a lady!

I would certainly eat the first eggs but not incubate them. New layers can often produce glitches in eggs when they first start laying. I like to let them get a few weeks under their belts and their laying machines in full working order before incubating. As they say it all starts with egg.

Haha, I've no idea really but when I had my 3 boys, they would only seem to go after the girls...I never saw them trying it on with each other ;) will be interesting to see how it goes with popcorn :pop

Yeh - we're doing well for eggs thanks :) 2 of the marans are laying every other day...still nothing from the pekins though. I've been eating the eggs! They're very tasty :) and weirdly, the yolks seem enormous for the egg size - not sure if that's a normal thing or not with new/bantam eggs. Won't be leaving them for anyone to sit on as I know they're not fertile and I don't need any more chicks at the moment. I'm not sure but I don't reckon you'd particularly want to hatch the first eggs cos they tend to be on the small side - might be best to wait a wee while?

Wish mine were laying some eggs! I had to buy some :rolleyes:
Think I’m going to get a couple more hybrids just for the eggs. I love my little polish and they are good layers in the spring/summer but pack up all together in the winter.

OOH thanks,regarding popcorn I shall keep my fingers crossed. (maybe one day I WILL have baby white chickens :D )
Chicknovice sounds like your gals are pretty healthy with nice big yolks, I gather that is a good thing.
YC lets hope the ladies lay soon for you at least the days are on the turn for getting longer.

I know i was listening to the wind last night and wondering about my guys. Everything is in place this morning thank heavens. I got my bungees from amazon too pretty robust things. But the wind sometimes makes it under the tarpaulin and makes a flapping noise. I am thinking this year about using fence shiplap and clear perspex over some of the run to have permanent shelter areas instead of tarpaulin and plastic.

I know i was listening to the wind last night and wondering about my guys. Everything is in place this morning thank heavens. I got my bungees from amazon too pretty robust things. But the wind sometimes makes it under the tarpaulin and makes a flapping noise. I am thinking this year about using fence shiplap and clear perspex over some of the run to have permanent shelter areas instead of tarpaulin and plastic.

It woke me up a couple of times in the night plus the rain pounding on the roof! Barring a couple of broken elastics on the tarp is wasn’t too bad outside. I should have replaced them sooner really as they had pretty much perished. Then again they are about 2/3 years old so have not done bad.

Noisy here too...I'm working today but hope the little chicks don't Head out too far today - think they'd disappear! :hmm

Mine have not been out much at all today. They were well put out when I made them get out of the coop to pick the poop!

Back
Top Bottom