UK Member Please Say HI

Yeah that was in autumn. Now it's just a muddy mess. I can't wait for it to dry up.

I sooooo sympathise with that one!!!! My chook pen is pretty OK as it has play bark as a substrate so it doesn't get muddy but the area leading up to it is soooo soggy and the paddock area, where the goats and pacas go in and out of the stable, is a quagmire! The 'pacas do this wonderful thing, called 'middening' where they do all their toileting in one area.....fab for cleaning up but not so fab when it turns into a huge puddle of poo and pee soup!!!!

I sooooo sympathise with that one!!!! My chook pen is pretty OK as it has play bark as a substrate so it doesn't get muddy but the area leading up to it is soooo soggy and the paddock area, where the goats and pacas go in and out of the stable, is a quagmire! The 'pacas do this wonderful thing, called 'middening' where they do all their toileting in one area.....fab for cleaning up but not so fab when it turns into a huge puddle of poo and pee soup!!!!
It's all fun. I've spent an hour this evening scraping chicken poo and wet straw of the slabbed, covered area of the run. The rain was coming in sideways this morning. Atleast it will be nice and clean for them to rake through in the morning!

It's all fun. I've spent an hour this evening scraping chicken poo and wet straw of the slabbed, covered area of the run. The rain was coming in sideways this morning. Atleast it will be nice and clean for them to rake through in the morning!

At the moment, I can be smug as the chook pen floor doesn't need cleaning....the chooks just scratch and dig in the bark and turn it over for me and the rain washes it through but I'm waiting to see of my smugness turns to regret when the warmer weather arrives....whether it will end up stinking to high heaven, attracting the flies and annoying the neighbours xx

At the moment, I can be smug as the chook pen floor doesn't need cleaning....the chooks just scratch and dig in the bark and turn it over for me and the rain washes it through but I'm waiting to see of my smugness turns to regret when the warmer weather arrives....whether it will end up stinking to high heaven, attracting the flies and annoying the neighbours xx
That's the thing with bark chippings. I keep thinking about putting them down but I heard they need replacing once in a while and I don't know if I fancy digging them out. But I need to do something up there. Sand Maybe?

That's the thing with bark chippings. I keep thinking about putting them down but I heard they need replacing once in a while and I don't know if I fancy digging them out. But I need to do something up there. Sand Maybe?

I have been advised on here to deep litter it.....meaning add a mix of garden debris...pine needles, leaves, straw etc and zeolite (known as Sweet PDZ in the States) to neutralise smells. I'll have to see how it goes. I am trying sand in the coops. I have a traditional 12 bird hen house and a 6ft x 4ft wendy house in their pen and both have sand in as a 'base', with added zeolite, again for smells, then chopped straw on top. Seems to be doing pretty well so far x

I have been advised on here to deep litter it.....meaning add a mix of garden debris...pine needles, leaves, straw etc and zeolite (known as Sweet PDZ in the States) to neutralise smells. I'll have to see how it goes. I am trying sand in the coops. I have a traditional 12 bird hen house and a 6ft x 4ft wendy house in their pen and both have sand in as a 'base', with added zeolite, again for smells, then chopped straw on top. Seems to be doing pretty well so far x
What type of bar chippings do you use. I heard hardwood are the best and not to use decorative chips like you get from b&q. My local farm store is selling rubber matting the type with holes in like in kids play park. Might be good for a permanent base then put chippings on top. That would keep the mud well away and stop the girls digging holes all over!

What type of bar chippings do you use. I heard hardwood are the best and not to use decorative chips like you get from b&q. My local farm store is selling rubber matting the type with holes in like in kids play park. Might be good for a permanent base then put chippings on top. That would keep the mud well away and stop the girls digging holes all over!

I'm using hardwood play grade woodchip which is currently over heavy duty weed suppressant but I think that will have to come out as the girls are digging it up all round the edges and eventually they will shred it and then it might become a danger if they eat it or get it wrapped round toes.

The rubber matting thing might work but only if you had A LOT of chippings on top as it would also prevent effective wash-through I think. I know it has holes but it's quite slow draining and the holes could become clogged with poop????? That is another issue with the weed suppressant for me. I think they'll be better having access to the dirt and we'll see if the chippings are sufficient to prevent it turning into a mud puddle.

Hmm.. Lots to think about. I'm always trying to improve what they have. They do seem pretty happy in the covered run. The mud is turning into a bit of an issue. But the weather is exceptionally rubbish at the moment and I have a feeling that there is an impending bird flu out break going to happen soon so we won't be able to let them out anyway. My next job is to rebuild the nest boxes and more perches. Plenty to do!

I use bog standard bark chips in my quail run in their eglu and straw in their house. I moved them into the garage for winter this year just easier and used deep litter in there with no problems was good for 3 months then I changed it only really cos was getting a bit too deep but smell was fine I only have 5 quail though! :)

I use bog standard bark chips in my quail run in their eglu and straw in their house. I moved them into the garage for winter this year just easier and used deep litter in there with no problems was good for 3 months then I changed it only really cos was getting a bit too deep but smell was fine I only have 5 quail though! :)
I have quail as well. They are in a large rabbit run. They seem quite happy. I put them on shavings. Some times hay. Good little layers. Such sweet little things. Especially when they start making that cricket chirpy noise!

Back
Top Bottom