UK Member Please Say HI

Hi, no sadly in the winter flights stop into most regional areas, Birmingham would have been perfect (as family could have picked me up easier). Even since last year there has been a huge decline, until then there were winter flights to EMA, Liverpool etc but now not :( was actually thrilled to find the Bristol flight as it is only 1.5 hours from the venue which is massively quicker than Stansted! Downside this end is that instead of Bergera (25 minutes) it is Bordeaux (over an hour!). The biggest issue is that the flight gets in so late - everyone will be cosied up having a meal together I'm guessing and won't want to do a 3 hour round trip to get me :oops:
That's the real bummer with flights. From Germany we could catch a flight to Stansted from paderborn. They stopped all those flights so then it was dortmund to Leeds or manchester now they've stopped that so now I have to go to Birmingham!:th we're constantly changing airports. Doncaster/Robin Hood to paderborn would be my dream come true!

Hi, I'm hoping for some advice please. I'm not a big egg eater but on occasions like a fried egg or some scrambled. I've eaten a few of my hen's eggs, they look wonderful, lovely colour, nice size yolk, light and fluffy when scrambled but they don't seem to have much taste to them at all, my daughter agrees with me on this, however my parents don't, they've eaten more of them than we have and say they taste as they should. My daughter and I had eggs for breakfast today, I had fried she had scrambled and again they seem to be lacking in flavour. I don't care about the eggs, all of my birds are pets but I'm worried this lack of taste might be me doing something wrong, I only have one layer at the moment as the others aren't quite at POL yet, so I don't have any others to compare her eggs with other than shop bought, which compared to hers have a much stronger taste and the yolks are darker almost orange compared to my hens whose yolks are a very light yellow. At the moment she is still on growers feed b'cos her chick isn't old enough for layers yet, they all have food and water available 24/7, I have a big dog bowl filled with oyster shells, which get eaten well, and I have a big dog bowl full of grit mix (both available all day everyday, but not at night when they are locked in their houses, however they have food and water in their houses) They free range everyday, mostly all day but if we have to go out we lock them in their run until someone is home, but it is rare this happens as we make a point to make sure someone is always here so they can free range all day. I usually stick to giving them the same treats everyday which are shared between the 8 of them and they are :- everyday is half of a Romaine lettuce and dessert spoon of meal worms first thing each morning, 1 large banana(2 if they are small) late morning/early afternoon, a cereal bowl full (leveled not heaped) of peas and table spoon of meal worms before bed. I put out a cup and a half of scratch mix and a cup of wheat (mainly for ducks)once a week, mostly scattered on the lawn and only a little in their run, a cup and a half of bird seed scatted on the lawn only and about twice a month I give them dried dog food soaked in water about a bowl full - all these treats are shared between the 8 of them. On occasions I might give them an extra, i.e a pumpkin recently, the odd melon or two in the summer and I'll let them know if I find worms while gardening, and that's about it. Is there possibly a problem or am I feeding or doing something wrong or am I worried about nothing?
It sounds like your feeding them OK. The eggs that come from caged hens come from hens that are fed only layers crumble. I'm led to believe that there could be colourings added to enhance the colour of the yolk. I'm not sure about that. I give mine extra kale and alfalfa. As yours are free ranging for the best part than they must be getting enough greenery. I wouldn't worry too much about the colour though. So long as the eggs are regular looking and have a decent shell quality. As far as for flavour, I love eggs, but I still add a little salt and pepper on mine. Just enjoy them in the knowledge that you hens are happy and free! :)

That's the real bummer with flights. From Germany we could catch a flight to Stansted from paderborn. They stopped all those flights so then it was dortmund to Leeds or manchester now they've stopped that so now I have to go to Birmingham!:th we're constantly changing airports. Doncaster/Robin Hood to paderborn would be my dream come true!
I know so annoying! There was 3 / week into East Midlands Airport until this winter and my godfather lives 5 miles away so could have had a lovely night with him before going to the wedding on Saturday!

Seems odd about your eggs tasting not flavourful @Anna Ranieri

It sounds like your feeding them OK. The eggs that come from caged hens come from hens that are fed only layers crumble. I'm led to believe that there could be colourings added to enhance the colour of the yolk. I'm not sure about that. I give mine extra kale and alfalfa. As yours are free ranging for the best part than they must be getting enough greenery. I wouldn't worry too much about the colour though. So long as the eggs are regular looking and have a decent shell quality. As far as for flavour, I love eggs, but I still add a little salt and pepper on mine. Just enjoy them in the knowledge that you hens are happy and free! :)
Thank you, your advice has me feeling loads better, I was just worried I don't do right for them. I have heard it said that food colouring gets added to caged hens food, I'm relieved you have confirmed this. Her eggs are lovely in colour, including the shells which are hard and so far much stronger than shop bought eggs, and better shape too. As I said I'm not a big egg eater, nor is my daughter so might be that its the first time we've had fresh laid at home eggs. Thanks greatly for your advice :)

Look like you're gonna be having fun! All I know about them is they're slow, eat lettuce and live till about 100! And they bite! Or is that terrapins!

I hope it is terrapins as I’m not keen on biting animals! It says the one I’m looking at is a friendly breed. It’s only going to be a small hatchling one so I hope I can handle it!

We had a tortoise in the late 60's early 70's, when they first became a craze, things were way different then, people didn't give them the care they do now, back then it was fruit, veg, grass and water, and just left to roam around the garden and in a box of straw in the garage during winter - ours lived for quite a few years until one year my dad accidentally woke it up during hibernation and it died of shock :( Our next door neighbours one lived for many years, their dog used to keep burying it and they were forever having to dig it up, it survived it all though..... fond memories :)

Same for my mum. She had hers 60’s + 70’s. It died when it’s shell got cracked and they tried to fix it with sellotape :hmm

My other half is concerned about me hibernating it in the fridge! He thought I was joking until I showed him proof and the insulated hibernation box I’m going to get :lol:

I hope it is terrapins as I’m not keen on biting animals! It says the one I’m looking at is a friendly breed. It’s only going to be a small hatchling one so I hope I can handle it!

Same for my mum. She had hers 60’s + 70’s. It died when it’s shell got cracked and they tried to fix it with sellotape :hmm

My other half is concerned about me hibernating it in the fridge! He thought I was joking until I showed him proof and the insulated hibernation box I’m going to get :lol:
They hibernate in the fridge! Oh my! Just don't get it mixed up with the eggs!

I know! I’m going to have to put a warning on the box! And on front of the fridge! They need about 5c consistently so the fridge is the best place apparently. Still reading up on them and from what I gather you don’t do it the first year but continue to feed them that winter, depends on the tortoise age. Far more too it than I first thought!

What fool said cooking is easy!
Step 1, get to the cooker!:D:rolleyes:
PB131200.JPG

PB131201.JPG

Back
Top Bottom